WRA 68-What to do?

Bucks n Ducks

I was given about 55 rounds of WRA 68-7.62mm loaded in 5 round clips.

I've done a bit of looking around I believe the WRA 68 refers to Winchester rounds made in 1968. All I have read seems to point out they are quality rounds in very high quality brass.

I'm brand new to reloading, so new I haven't even set up my Rock Chucker kit I received a few days ago.

My question is: do these rounds have some special value as is or should I just shoot em at the range and re use the quality brass.( I have a "multi" caliber 7.62)
and BTW was there a weapon that used the 7.62 five round clips or was the purpose of the clip to load a magazine?

Thanks, from the FNG

About the only gun I remember that used strippers was the 1903 Springfield with its internal box magazine, but it was .30-06 Springfield...

However, I do remember that back then they liked to ship ammo in 5-round clips. Federal Lake City loads 10-round clips with 5.56x45 ammo even to this day... So that's probably all it is. Just an easier way of carrying ammo without having to carry loose rattling rounds around with you.

Lake City Ammo 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain XM855 SS109 Penetrator Full

If you are that new to reloading, I suggest watching LOTS of YouTube videos and reading as much info as you can, before you even prime a case...

Reloading can be dangerous for you and for others. ALWAYS go by the manual when reloading. I recommend the Nosler 7 reloading manual. But I always shoot Nosler bullets out of just about everything. Speer makes a good one, so does Hornady, Berger, etc... Always double and triple check everything. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt, so I'm just giving you a few pointers. Check out IraqVeteran8888's YouTube page, he has TONS of reloading basics videos and also a few tips that are very helpful.

Also, if you are reloading for your bolt-actions, I suggest RCBS Neck-Sizer die sets, your reloads will be more accurate, plus it makes your brass last longer. If loading for an AR, use the RCBS AR-Series Small-Base die sets. And for pistols...ALWAYS buy carbide dies.

These are just a few tips I've learned from other loaders when I was first getting started.

Thanks for the tips Mudrunner. I've watched a few of the youtube videos you mentioned and they seem to be a great resource.

I currently only have the Speer manual that came with the kit. I'll be looking to pick up others like the Nosler Hornady etc.

My first venture will be to find the right load for a 20 inch barelled 7mm-08

Future will be settting up a 7mm mag or after further review maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor for primary hunting rig.

I currently am stocked pretty good for my 7.62 NATO/.308 but will fine tune at some point.

If you need a tack-driving 7mm Mag, or a 1000 yard .308 recipe let me know. I'll be glad to share. And I know the loads are safe, b/c I've shot them both alot. gun)

I loaded up some 7mm-08 for my old Ruger 77 MKII stainless synthetic mountain rifle (20" barrel) I've had for 13 years now. I loaded them with Nosler 140gr Accubonds. Can't remember, but I think I used Alliant Reloder 19 powder, but don't remember how much. I can look on the label when I get home tonight, if you'd like me to?

M1A's have adapter to use stripper clips in 7.62 Nato directly into magazine when in rifle. WRA68 is military grade ball ammo, very accurate. If have a rifle rated 308 and not 7.62, wouldn't recommend using the military grade since it is more potent then 308.

M1A's have adapter to use stripper clips in 7.62 Nato directly into magazine when in rifle. WRA68 is military grade ball ammo, very accurate. If have a rifle rated 308 and not 7.62, wouldn't recommend using the military grade since it is more potent then 308.
Yep. There was also a later production model M1 Garand that shot 7.62 NATO, in a limited run. They were put into service towards the end of the Korean Era and taken out early in the Vietnam Era and replaced with the M1A.

The primers will be crimped in these rounds so you'll need a decrimper.

These are not of any particular special value but the brass should be of good quality. Shoot them at the range or shoot some coyotes with them and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.