Wow, new bows are amazing!

AJ Peacock

I've been away from archery for several years and decided to stop in at the local bow store and see what I'd missed in the last 10 years or so. I shot a Hoyt Pro-hunter for years and loved the bow, then caught the speed fever and moved to a PSE Mach Flight 8, that I never really got the hang of. I always seemed to torque the grip and never could get it tuned.

Anyway, I stopped at the bow store and ended up shooting 4 different bows. All I can say is WOW, did things change. The new bows with the parallel limbs have zero movement, are easier to pull, don't 'stack up' and are FAST! I'm amazed.

I really liked the Mathews ZR7 and Heli-m bows. I think I'll be looking for a used ZR7, I'm very very impressed.

Just wanted to share my amazement with you all,

AJ

I shot a recurve for years but due to a eye injury I pick
ed up some wheels And wow what a diffrence I have a darton ds 3800 and it is smoking 330+ @ 29" with hunting weight arrows

Much the same here. I had been away from it for years and went and got all the newest stuff.

Problem is that the new stuff is very sensitive and requires a large learning curve. All that speed causes problems just like in a rifle. Had a set of screws on my release loosen up and cause the string to hang on release. May have cost me two elk.

I was away from archery for a long time too and picked up a Bowtech destroyer 350 last year. What a crazy difference from 20 years ago. Groups at 60 yards are like they used to be at 30.
I haven't killed anything other than a few ground squirrels but man does it shoot. Headed elk hunting next year. I really missed archery hunting and am really looking forward to getting back into it.

I bought a PSE XForce Dream Season 2 years ago. While the bow was more than able to shoot 50+ yards, I could never get it to. I actually won a Mathews Z7 Extreme this year and finally got it setup. After 2-3 days of shooting I put 5 of 6 arrows inside a 2 3/4" bullseye and the 6th arrow was just outside but barely broke the circle. I am not a great bow shot by any means so this was probably the best group I've shot at @ 20 yards ever. I never got a chance to shoot beyond that, but this spring I'll start getting my pins setup to go out to 40-50 yards! Definitely a much smoother draw and more comfortable than my other bow. Although I've been told the new PSE's (XForce EVO's) are much better, I still love my Mathews and can finally see why so many people love them!

Along with the "wow" technology, is the WOW price tag. :rolleyes:

I refuse to pay rifle prices for a bow. Especially, since a bow will lose 50% of its' value in the first year. This applies, mostly, to pro model bows that are sold in archery pro shops. Standard model bows that are sold at BPS, Cabelas, Dick's, Gander Mtn., etc. seem to not drop as much in their resale value.

It depends on how much of the latest thing you want or how much of the "holy grail" of speed you're after, as to how much you'll have to spend. :)

I purchased a Martin Cheetah, about 4 years ago. It's quiet, extremely accurate and was affordable at $400. I'm shooting 52# with a 400 gr. arrow for hunting and 3D. I have no idea what kind of speed it's producing, as I have yet to chronograph it. Just the same...it's a deer killing machine. :D

* Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it. :cool:
Bowhunter57

You would be at a minimal for elk at much range. In AK IT USE TO BE NO LIGHTER THAN A 410 gr. arrow.Dont know currently.

BH57, I am 1000% with you, currently I own a safe full of high pwr rifles and not a one cost me more than $650, which BTW wont even get me with in sight of the vast majority of todays proshop bows. My stainless M700 BDL in 338wm cost out the door $647.

I have killed 26 deer with a bow to date, so one does not need a bow costing $800-$1000+ to put meat in the freezer and horns on the wall. The last new bow I bought was around 15yrs ago +/-. It was a last years discontinued PSE XLR 900 that cost (IIRC) $579 new. I paid ZERO BS, $120 at the IL D&TC.

I am presently lokking to buy a used Bowtech Constitution but I wont go over $350. I strongly doubt I will ever spend much over $400 for ANY bow. A $800 bow DOES NOT a great shooter make.

Everyone is entitaled to spend their $$$ any way they wish. I personaly can not justify the prices of todays bows, because in the end all equipment regardless of cost can do is help make a good archer a little better, it can not make a poor archer or a archer lacking in skill earned the hard way better.

I have got cought in the new bow every year sickness but not anymore. I have two 09 Elite Z28's , one primary and one back-up bow and they will be my hunting bows for awhile. I have gone out and shot some of the new bows but they ain't changed that much for me to invest anymore $ in bows.

Now if I could just cure the rifle buying sickness that I have cought in the last year i would be good. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.