Would you trust this item....

JOSE A. MARINE

CASIO is offering now a series of watches that give the barometric/altitude/temperature and even a compass, to use for your ballistic software?

if you have one, what´s your experience with this watches, do they give accurate data?

way cheaper than a kestrel 300....

please post you experiences..

thanks
Joe

Well, it is not totally broken. One or two of the buttons stick and it gets stuck in a funky mode. If I mess with it I can get it to change modes but it is not reliable from that standpoint. It has been running for a couple of years like this and I don't really use it because of that. I suppose I could send it in and see if they will fix it.

I bought it with the same intention that you have. I have an anemometer that only reads wind speed, and not weather related data.

My first goal was to have a compass on my wrist. I had just started hunting the national forest and was using USGS quadrangle maps and my gps as nav aids to explore new hunting areas. Not really needed, but it was (is) fun.

Right now, it says the barometer is 29.80 and falling, the local weather from weather.com says the barometer is 29.84 ...(there is a calibration function and that may help getting the readings to match.) In the five minutes I have been working on this post the barometer reading changed to 29.85.

If I remember right the altitude function is based on a calibrated barometer reading or something like that. Since I live at sea level I never really messed with the altitude function. It is currently reading 15 - 20 feet which is actually really close.

It also dispalys the temperature, it does not have a humidity function.

I did not take it with me when I went elk hunting in Colorado in 2006 because it was not working right then. That's the only real altitude I have seen in a while.

Hope that helps.

It resembles an oversized Casio G-Shock if you know that is.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply..

Think I need the humidity reading also...so maybe I better save enough for a kestrel...

thanks
Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.