would you buy a scope that was mede in China?

kc

Well there is a nice looking scope so I pick it up and its made in China! $#!^ no way I don't know about you but I wont go there. I have no intrest in this.
what do you think of China entering the market with Optics?

I had to look it up, but the word "mede" means:
A member of an Iranian people, closely related to the Persians, inhabiting ancient Media.

Not sure how a peoples from Iran would have any connection to the Chinesse but......

Scott

That is made! Scott..its another week of sleep loss. (insomnia).please excuse my spelling.

Understand completely....been there, had that insomnia stuff about a year ago. I don't think the human body ever gets over it!!!!

As far as buying Chinesse products(not necessarily just optics), I try to purchase American. My thinking isn't so much the quality, but more towards trying to keep an American employed.

Nightforce gets quite a lot of my shooting budget!!

Scott

I have recently changed my mindset, and have been doing my best to buy as much as possible that is made in USA. From the tires on my truck (cooper) to the shoes I wear (new ballance). I even try and support my local economy by buying from smaller retailers, and local gunsmiths. I'm lucky to live so close to some really great ones too. Back to the optics... No I won't buy anything made in china. Most of my guns now wear Leupy's, but someday if there is enough funds, I may have a nightforce too.

If we all start to at least try and buy american made products, even if they cost a little more, our economy and country will only get better.

aroshtr

I like to buy as much American as I can but I can't do it at the expense of my family budget so for optics I try to buy from small optics co's that are based in America with parts sourced over seas but I'm working on a Nightforce, as far as I know the only true American optic is US Optics then Nightforce but that's about it, even Leupold is mostly out sourced from what I can find. Just a personal thing but I don't think buying European optics is any different than buying China made stuff when it comes to helping Americans, obvious quality difference aside.

Where I live is small town Montana and you always hear the "buy local be local" on the radio but for the most part the stores that run these adds tend to be "buy local get ripped of local", a great example is our little gun/fishing shops, I go in and need a Hoochie Mama for elk season as I usually wear out two of them, the "buy local be local" store $32 the also local gas station that has a few things $22, thats 10 bucks on one single Hoochie Mama in the same town, that I can not support!

I wish I had the budget to buy all American but it just isn't there!!

Geez. . . I hope you guys never shop in Wally world. Truth is, all of us buy products made in China every week, maybe every day. But if it don't work, take it back to the store. You may recall about 40 years ago, most everyone sneered at Japanese products. Today, they mostly produce very respectful stuff. China is moving in the same direction.

But . . . . my personal method is to buy as much as I can afford for high quality. If I can't afford it, I will save until I have enough. The old adage "you only get what you pay for" applies to optics more than anything else. March scopes are hand made in Japan. They start at around $2300. Save yer stimulus checks and buy a couple!

I totally agree with Gene.

No doubt there are top quality Chinese made optics out in the market place. It is just that we are not yet informed enough to recognise them, or the scopes that use Chinese manufactured components.

Look thru some ProMaster Elite ED bino's.....made in China, top notch view and durable. Lifetime warranty.

Most everyone here buys optics made in China except me LOL! Only 2 companies maybe 3 that I know of who do not do any OP, purchase piece parts or assemblies in China.

Even BMW and MB have been sourcing there for years!

I dunno...I think most lower end scopes are built in China....Even the lower end Leupy's. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the higher end Jap. scopes. I like Vortex, NightForce and Sightron SIII. Have to say that IOR, S&B and PRemier are in a league of their own. Can't comment on the March...becuase the price / warranty ratio isn't that great...but I'm sure they are a great product...just not tested to the point others have been through the years.

It's a wonderful thing to have sooooo many choices in optics!

Wayne

No, I refuse to buy Chinese if there's an option available. For low end electronics, like calculators and such, there are virtually no options. For scopes, scales and other things, there still are.

I have no problem buying foreign products, as long as they're good quality. Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kowa, no problem at all. My issues with China relate to shoddy quality and blatant disregard for international trade laws. Someone mentioned low-end Leupold's being made in China, but I don't believe that's correct. There HAVE been quite a few "high end" models of "Leupolds" that were made in China recently, and marketed here at discount prices. Leupold markings, the whole nine yards. And totally unrelated and unauthorized by Leupold. There was a piece on Leupold's website some time back warning about these fakes. Leupold only discovered this when they had some defective scopes come back for servicing that had serial numbers they'd never made. Closer examination showed that they weren't true Leupolds at all, just a cheap copy. I don't doubt that they CAN produce good products if they want to, but I haven't seen much of that so far. Some years back I ordered a reloading scale for my own use. I wanted a high-end lab grade scale, and went with a well known US maker. Ordered one, to the tune of $1,500. When it arrived, it was marked "Made in China." It went right back, without weighing a single charge, case or bullet, for the sole reason that it was made in China. Wound up ordering a German made scale for considerably less, that I've been quite happy with ever since.

Bottom line for me is, it's not in our best interests to further the technological infrastructure of China, or their ability to manufacture high tech items that have military applications. At some point in the not too distant future, we're going to be on the wrong end of those scopes.

No, I refuse to buy Chinese if there's an option available. For low end electronics, like calculators and such, there are virtually no options. For scopes, scales and other things, there still are.

I have no problem buying foreign products, as long as they're good quality. Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kowa, no problem at all. My issues with China relate to shoddy quality and blatant disregard for international trade laws. Someone mentioned low-end Leupold's being made in China, but I don't believe that's correct. There HAVE been quite a few "high end" models of "Leupolds" that were made in China recently, and marketed here at discount prices. Leupold markings, the whole nine yards. And totally unrelated and unauthorized by Leupold. There was a piece on Leupold's website some time back warning about these fakes. Leupold only discovered this when they had some defective scopes come back for servicing that had serial numbers they'd never made. Closer examination showed that they weren't true Leupolds at all, just a cheap copy. I don't doubt that they CAN produce good products if they want to, but I haven't seen much of that so far. Some years back I ordered a reloading scale for my own use. I wanted a high-end lab grade scale, and went with a well known US maker. Ordered one, to the tune of $1,500. When it arrived, it was marked "Made in China." It went right back, without weighing a single charge, case or bullet, for the sole reason that it was made in China. Wound up ordering a German made scale for considerably less, that I've been quite happy with ever since.

Bottom line for me is, it's not in our best interests to further the technological infrastructure of China, or their ability to manufacture high tech items that have military applications. At some point in the not too distant future, we're going to be on the wrong end of those scopes.

Kevin---Loopy buys parts made there and does assy work here. The only true made in USA is USO.

Boss Hoss,

Dissapointed, but not totally surprised. Like I said, when there's an option. This is a whole series of business decisions that's going to come back and haunt us in the near future. Still inclined to avoid doing business with them, Iran, North Korea, the Saudis, etc.. Just getting harder and harder to do anymore.

Heard that RCBS is having some of their frames cast over there now, along with some other parts. You know if there's any truth to that one?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.