Would gunsmithing be a good second job?

A manufacturing license is needed if he wants to build / assemble and sell a custom rifle for profit. If he just wants to install triggers or do repair work a regular FFL is only needed. The manufacturing license was suggested because then he can do both with no worries. I know this cause the Pittsburgh ATF office told me when I applied for mine. Don't want to start any wars here just trying to help the guy out. This subject has been beat to death on many forums before. If you don't believe us then just give the ATF A call.

No One says you must start with a full blown shop and 50k in tools.
Perhaps trigger work, stock modification, scope mounting...pick jobs that suit your abilities from an extra room and grow the business.

That is more what I had in mind. Maybe be able to re-barrel to a different chambering and do muzzle brakes. and that sort of thing. Smaller jobs. If I was to build a rifle if would be for me or my family or maybe a friend or two. Mostly I just like taking things and making them better. Like when I tear down my four wheelers and turn them into fire breathing monsters that are a work of art. I have even built a long travel sand rail from the ground up that cost more to build itself than what I have been seeing on here cost wise for tools to start up. It turned out to be a money losing endeavor when the market crashed with the economy. Oh well, I learned alot.

I pulled the barrel on my sons Savage and sent it to the gunsmith that made the muzzle brake for him. When I got the barrel back with the brake installed I reinstalled it in the action. I enjoyed this and found it very simple. Thus that is what peaked my interest in doing something along this line. with having 7 days off every other week, you can blow through money pretty quick. They say that idleness is the devil's hand's is very true. I need to stay busy and if I can do that without always spending money then that is good. I already have a good number of tools and I buy the good stuff, I don't believe in having to buy the most expensive but good tools are a must and keeping them clean and cared for is something I always do. I don't have a mill or lathe yet but they are something I have been thinking about.

The way it was explained to me by the local ATF agent was I should have a #7 if I'm building rifles from the ground up but you can do rebarrels/build a rifle from someone's action with a #1. So technically if you sell someone the action and then they hire you to build a rifle from it you can get away with a #1. The local agent agreed but said I should really have a #7. With a #7 you can build up to 50 rifles a year before you have to pay extra in taxes. So basically custom rifle building should have a #7 and general gunsmithing can be done with a #1.

That is how my ATF guy read it but, as is common with the government, not everyone will read it the same way and not even another ATF agent.

I don't think you would need anywhere near $50 k for tooling. Like I said, you can probably get a nice south bend and enough tooling to do muzzle brakes, crowns, contours and the likes for under $10k, and that might get you a mill as well. You just need to get a big enough lathe to thread the barrel between centers if at all possible. Some would say to run a steady rest, but the chances of error start climbing. It's one thing to goof on your own gun, but customers are less forgiving.

The other plus thing is with the lathe and mill, they are not just for gunsmithing. They are capable of making all kinds of parts for your car hobby. Then all you need to do is get into backyard metal casting and you'll find yourself out of time to get bored:D

The way it was explained to me by the local ATF agent was I should have a #7 if I'm building rifles from the ground up but you can do rebarrels/build a rifle from someone's action with a #1. So technically if you sell someone the action and then they hire you to build a rifle from it you can get away with a #1. The local agent agreed but said I should really have a #7. With a #7 you can build up to 50 rifles a year before you have to pay extra in taxes. So basically custom rifle building should have a #7 and general gunsmithing can be done with a #1.

That is how my ATF guy read it but, as is common with the government, not everyone will read it the same way and not even another ATF agent.
Gee, thats what Ruling 2010-10 says!

The license type you need is covered in the frequently asked questions. Just like cops, the ATF can reread the regulations to you but not give legal advice. Even in writing, if they get it wrong is not an excuse. Better to consult an attorney that has experience with this.

The license type you need is covered in the frequently asked questions. Just like cops, the ATF can reread the regulations to you but not give legal advice. Even in writing, if they get it wrong is not an excuse. Better to consult an attorney that has experience with this.
Sounds like good advice to me. There's another bill to pay, the lawyer. But, it's your dime. I've never met an ATF field agent (or his district supervisor) who will give you anything in writing! Just refer you to "the book".

Thanks guys!! I will figure out the licensing part of it. Not to worried about that at this point. I have had businesses in the past and that part don't scare me. I am more worried about where to get training as apprenticing under someone here is not an option, there is no one around here. So where can I start and anyone that could throw me some links to maybe some recommended equipment, I would be most indebted to ya!

Montgomery Community College, Troy, NC Trinadad State Junior College, Trinadad, CO. Colorado School of Trades, Denver, CO. Seems to me there's another in NC, one in PA, one in AZ, at least one in CA, Murry State College in OK, and maybe one or two others.

General gunsmithing actually requires very little money in the way of tooling. A master set of hollow ground screw drivers, good pin punches, roll pin starters, a wide variety of files and stones and a couple good vices will allow you to do 90 percent of what ever walks in the door. The next 5% will require a moderate investment to be able to weld and do refinish work. The last 5% requires a substantial investment in power equipment to be able to do barrel and machine work. It's possible to teach yourself as long as you have the means to replace what ever you work on.

There is tons of gun work to be done between ordering and receiving frieght, phone calls, drop in's, email, record and book keeping. It seems to work out for every hour in the shop requires about 1-2 hours at the desk.

I love the work and would do it for nothing if I could just to help others enjoy the sport. I love to see an guy light up when we fix his toys or help people shoot better than they ever thought possible. For me this is the best part.

The worst part is now I never can find the time to work on any of my own stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts