Would a muzzle brake help with control?

To simulate field rests, I lay my savage 110 in 7RM on the pedestal rest. The sides are not touching anything. With that brake, it does not torque or bounce. Just nice straight back.

It all depends on the brake design and how round the foreend is. On the savage, pretty much flat which is a big aid. Many hunting rifles are like 1/2 moons so roll under every circumstance.

Today you can even get a wider varmint style stock for little weight penalty. These would work very well indeed.

Jerry

I design and fabricate brakes as part of my business, and yes they do wonders for you if you fear your gun (flinch),
and to keep you on target. Of course, if you're not flinching, they don't, nor should they, have any affect on
your grouping. It's a game of concentration, and if a brake
will keep your mind on the mechanics of shooting, get it soon.

well I never touch any part of the stock at all.. it just rests on the bi-pod.. unless you are gonna touch the stockl at the same place everytime you shoot it just doesn't make sense...

get the break... Badger, OPS Inc. make very good ones...

when it comes to muzzle brakes our price is very hard to beat, with a one day turn around time. and we make a lot of different types. there is people on this site that i have done brakes for maybe they will reply and let you know how good my work is. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

Kregg,

I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishments and your record kill on a prairie dog. That is so awewome!!!

[ QUOTE ]
when it comes to muzzle brakes our price is very hard to beat, with a one day turn around time. and we make a lot of different types. there is people on this site that i have done brakes for maybe they will reply and let you know how good my work is. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Parrybrakes1.jpg

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree with most of the posters that a good break will help with control, an for the same reasons as they list. But one thing to remember is that the added weight and length will effect the way your barrel vibrates and can change your point of impact. You may have to change your loading to get tight groups.

I have a adjustable break on a 7STW that lets me tune in my loads. I will pick a velocity and bullet type and adjust the break until the groups tighten up. It has worked very well so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.