WOTAC 10x40 or 4-14x50

94Winchester

I have decided to buy a WOTAC for my first scope. I need the scope to be able to be used for short range hunting as well as long range hunting but I will also need to use the reticle for range finding until I can afford to buy a good laser range finder. If the 10x can fill the job I would like to go with that option because I will not be able to accidentally range with the wrong power setting. Which to you recommend?

I was shooting the other evening with my dad and at 10x I was shooting at a 2.5 in orange dot at 1015yrd with my WOtac also shot at 14x with no problems. As far as ranging I haven't played with it enough to know if I'm better with MOA vs Mill. The reticule would be .5 mill spacing in the fixed 10 which I think would give you better resolution than 2MOA. The variable you can do both. I would ask Matt at Sight Wonders, he'll give you an honest opinion for what you want to do, very nice guy!!!

By the way my dad was shooting a Leupold VX-3 4-14x50 and he thought the WOtac was much better to shoot at distance with the reticule and had a slight advantage in the glass clarity, I looked and I don't know if I could see the glass difference but the reticule was way better in the WOtac for shooting. The WOtac dwarfs the Leupolds, it's big! If you need I can take some pics of it for you if you need more info!

i have one on sight wonders first 4x14 scopes. i have heard that some changes have been made on the newer models. that being said i love mine and you cant go wrong with either

I was shooting the other evening with my dad and at 10x I was shooting at a 2.5 in orange dot at 1015yrd with my WOtac also shot at 14x with no problems. As far as ranging I haven't played with it enough to know if I'm better with MOA vs Mill. The reticule would be .5 mill spacing in the fixed 10 which I think would give you better resolution than 2MOA. The variable you can do both. I would ask Matt at Sight Wonders, he'll give you an honest opinion for what you want to do, very nice guy!!!

By the way my dad was shooting a Leupold VX-3 4-14x50 and he thought the WOtac was much better to shoot at distance with the reticule and had a slight advantage in the glass clarity, I looked and I don't know if I could see the glass difference but the reticule was way better in the WOtac for shooting. The WOtac dwarfs the Leupolds, it's big! If you need I can take some pics of it for you if you need more info!

Dang! I wish I have your eyesight ... there is no way I can see that far with only 10X or 14X :(.

Ed

Dang! I wish I have your eyesight ... there is no way I can see that far with only 10X or 14X :(.

Ed

I didn't expect to see it to see the dot let alone use it as an aim point. I had intended to just use the top corner but with the WOtac I was able to see it, not perfectly clear, but good enough to shoot it, the cross hair is fine enough to aim with. The Leupold was clear enough to see it also but the regular duplex cross hair was way to fat to see the dot and to course to try to hold on that small of a target. The air was good for seeing it also, and I was using my good eye :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts