Worst Kicking Firearm?????

10 gauge double, converted to 4.5 inches with brass shells. Back in the days of LR pass shooting for geese with handloads of #4 buckshot.

It was used to shoot trap also, ha ha, watched by buddy (aged 16 at the time) accidently trigger both barrels at once. He did three flips with a half twist. Judges gave him a 9.5 on style points.

BH

probably the stubby little ak that tank crews got. Full auto SBR with a 75 round drum, started fine but it just seemed to push deeper and deeper into my shoulder with the abbreviated stock(i guess you could call it a stock), Loud as **** too. still smiled when it was over though.

I've shot Ruger #1 in 375 and 416 with no ill affects other than seeing a bunch of blue sky after the shot.

The worst real physical pain was induced by a 338 Win Mag w/250gr bullets at about 2800 in a very light, poorly shortened stock (cut at a pretty big angle). I threw the rifle on the ground after the second shot and did a bit of a rain dance with a flopping right arm. **** that hurt. The sad part was that the two shots were looing good @ 200. Went to the neighbors to borrow some 2" think heavy padding and finished the 3 shot group (about .7") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I then immediately went to redoing the stock.

"did a bit of rain dance with a flopping right arm." I m sure it wasnt so funny to you but I couldnt help but chuckle when I read this:)

The 2 hardest kicking guns that I shot was a 10 gauge pump with 3.5 shell.

The most uncomfortable shot was with a ruger 300 win mag it had a skeleton style butt stock with a recoil pad as hard as a rock barrel and action was stainless . (pencil barrel) I was 15 years old and skinny . We had a catfish farm behind our house the ponds were loaded with turtles and all throught the day they would stick their noses up for air so I would fling open the back door at our house and I would lay down with only a t-shirt and let it rip. You can imagine what the top of my sholder felt like if you've ever seen one of these style rugers .

In 1976 I purchased a new .300 WBY. Cracked two different stocks directly behind the tang. WBY replaced both stocks free of charge. Second replacedment stock was absolutely beautiful. Sold that rifle to a block layer in Michigan who told me it was too much gun for me anyway. Yeah, right! To my knowledge, he personally shot this rifle less than twenty times. He has however, won significant money betting folks they could not shoot it more than five times off the bench. He has never lost.

Not actually a "firearm" but the 120mm Rheinmettal cannon on the M1 Abrams. Recoil was handled by the hydraulic system, 70 tons of steel and the suspension system. Muzzle blast was where the fun was. Stand up on the loaders seat with your torso up out of the loaders hatch. When you heard "on the way" in your helmet headset it was only a half second away. Whammo!!!!

I swear it feels like your eyeballs and body change shape when that cannon goes off. Terrifying for a second or two after, then a huge smile takes over.

It looks like the winner is the 378 Weatherby . I'm sure there are worse but most people haven't
shot them like the weatherbys,

The 340 and the 378 are notorious because of the weight and the #3 contour barrel on
most of them.

The 460 has more recoil energy but less recoil velocity as is the case with many of the big
bores.

Brakes have minimized this if most of the lightweight rifles but are less efective on a bog
bore with a lightweight barrel.

Some rifles without brakes just kick and others don't.

The worst I have ever shot was/is a Thompson Center contender pistol chambered in 444 Marlin
using 265 grain bullets @ 2300 ft/sec.The pistol weight is under 4 pounds with scope.

A Fun post!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.