Worst Kicking Firearm?????

I had the old encore 209x50 with 150grs of Shockeys Gold and a 300gr shockwave bullet give me more than a couple of love taps, sure are hell on deer though.

Kirby i saw that one comin 3000yds away buddy, i knew what you were gonna respond with. Now you need to take that big SOB hog huntin some day!!!!! That way it can kill on both ends!!!!

copy paste from another forum

that brings back memories.....bad ones!
Years ago, I was an official card carryin turkey hunting fool. I decided to build me the ultimate turkey shotgun. I ordered the NEF 10 ga. 3.5" model with the 36" barrel.
I made all the arrangements with all the right people to metamorphasize that clunker into the ultimate special purpose turkey slaying machine.
The barrel was cut off at 25", and custom screw in chokes were built, one for 4's,5's,and 6's, one for BB's, and one for #4 buckshot.
For weeks I sat around with 320 grit sandpaper wrapped around the barrel rubbing a set of ghost ring sights on it so they would match the contour of the barrel, finnaly got them installed and dismantled and taped for painting in an ulta concealable new style of camo pattern.
Hey! there's a 2# piece of steel rod in the buttstock, it went in the scrap pile. well in a week or so it was ready for sighting in.
Put the bullbag on the bench set the target up at 50 yds and boresigted the peep in with a very small apeture in place so I could really get it close....man it was perfect!
ok broke it down and placed a stovepipe full of 6's in the barrel, more affectionately known as a federal premieum 3.5" 2.25 oz load.
Got down on the bench took a firm grip on the forend, leaned into the gun and cocked the hammer, to this day it sounded like the click of a detonater, I had stoned the surfaces of the trigger giving it about a 2.5# pull, reasonably crisp to.
when the hammer fell, The muzzle went skyward, my upper body was violently thrown back, the barrel did a figure 8 in the air, then slammed back on the bag as I was holding to it with all I had............
COOL!, change the target, make sight adjustments, reload
once again I cocked the hammer, aligned the sights, eased back on the trigger, was again rocked as violently as I had ever been (imcluding auto collisions) the barrel done the figure 8 dance and slammed back on the bag........WOW! that kinda hurt! Do I taste blood?
change targets, move sights, reload
Same as the last 2 times, when the big 10 slammed on the bag for the 3rd time I took a break, walked into the house, mom had a look of terror on her face! what happened? nothin much why? go look in the mirror
went in the bathroom, man rocky balboa never looked that bad.
The left side of my face was swollen, all my teeth were bleading, the upper part of the back of my head hurt so bad I knew I just couldn't pull the trigger again for a few days.
Shot that gun one time after that day, shot a groundhog in the corn patch (corn about 6" high) at 80 yds, the corn in a 6 ft circle was pretty much shredded, and the groundhog just fuzzed up all over, couple days later found a guy who wanted it worse than me!!!
YEAH I REALLY LIKE RECOIL!!!!!!!!
JS

Hi the worst was a WBY460 without a muzzle break and 500gr Barnes X Bullets loaded up to MAX.
The second worst was a dog they are the BRNO 600's in 308 they are so light and the stock comes back and smacks you they are brutal for such a mild calibre they are definately the worst designed rifles i have shot.

Cheers Bill
Australia

It could just be because of my age at the time, but when I was in Jr High, and friend and I went camping with our folks. His father owned a gun shop, and it was a custom of his for us to shoot a new gun every trip out. Well, he just happened to have a new pistol that he had brought out for himself, and after we all shot the AK(gun of the trip), I decided that I wanted to shoot his new pistol. Well, he shot it first to make sure that it was safe and to show me how to stand. And that is when I should have changed my mind. He was every bit of 6'6" and 350 lbs, and when he shot that thing, his front foot came off of the ground. He handed it to me, I tried as he did, pulled the trigger and proceeded to fly backwards. So me being the genius that I was did it yet again, but this time I was affraid of flying, so I loosened my grip, and it flew back into the side of my face. That was the last time that I ever fired a pistol measured by gauge and not caliber. It was a 10 gauge break action pistol that he had built for him for a trip to alaska for grizzlies. My father made sure that I was all right, but laughed at me the whole time saying that I deserved it for being so stubborn about the whole thing.

Jerry

A Benelli tactical 12GA with 3" mag federal slugs during a sight in for a customer.I finally had the gun ported to be able to even shoot the thing without flinching.

The absolute worst recoiling firearm I have ever fired was a BFR .500S&W w/o a brake or scope....it was just plain wicked and nasty!! A FIRM two handed hold sent the gun over my head with the right hand still clinching the grip and the left still pointing at the target.

Second.....Encore handgun in .454 Casull. This cartridge in a revolver is a sweetheart. But in the single shot, lightweight tapered barrel Encore it's a real wench!

Also shot a lot of .416 Rigby from a 16" Encore handgun...not too bad.

In long gun form...gotta say my Mossy 835 and 3.5" turkey loads. Like Remmy'06...bloodied my nose also!!

Sako TRGs m995 in 338 Lapua Mag. No brake. It weighed about 8# with the factory stock. 89gr of RE25 and a 300gr. SMK. At least with this one the kick was very forceful, but not as sharp as it could have been. The perceived recoil was worse with RE22 and the 250gr SGK's (more sharp). I am still shooting it without a brake, but the addition of a McMillan A-5 stock did wonders for the recoil (now I don't get a headache after 10 rounds).

Saw a video of a pro gun tested shoot an 8 bore or a 4 bore double rifle, can't remember which, off a bench. Had to have a "catcher" behind him. I think he said 6 rounds was the limit. Worst rifle I ever fired was a Civil War .56 cal. black powder with a mini ball off the bench. Recoil bad enough my trigger hand gave me a bloody lip. Didn't do that again.
db

I've got a couple and they are all my brothers.1st is his 870 Super-Mag,followed by his 375RUM BDL S/S(Sporter Barrel) this thing is VIOLENT off a rest,a little better off hand,but it shoots pretty good.Makes your head feel funny if you shoot it with your mouth open.Here it is.
493595.jpg

Next is his Ruger #1 in 458LOTT,I won't shoot this off the rest.Here he is with a groundhog that got smashed with a 500gr. Bullet.
305086.JPG

Worst Kickin' so far would have to be my buddies 358 sta

This rifle was ten year project and I've been hearing about it since before I can remeber. It is supposed to be the cats meow for an alaska goat rifle. I don't know what possesed him to make a rifle that light but he did. I think soaking wet with a sling and the magazine full its sub 7.5#.

He's got me by 30 years so I did the fire forming and attempted to sight it in of the bench. That is until we broke the crosshairs loose in the burris posi-loc. Its not so much the ft lbs that get ya its the fps that thing comes at you. It comes after you with a vengance, I have shot 3.5 inch mags at ducks and geese since I was 15 and this thing kicked my butt. After 27 rounds in one setting we learned two things 1. Burris has excellant customer service with broken scopes. 2. This thing needs a brake in a bad way

Never will complain about extended shooting sessions with my 300

Foremost in my mempry banks is a Spanish made side by side 12 guage a friend of mine had. I think it might have gone around 4.5# when loaded with the three in mag shells. The thing about it was that if you chose the wrong trigger to pull first it would loose both barrels at the same time. You had to remember front trigger first then rear. Of course when your used to only having the one trigger, you generally got the rear one first. there were several times on dove hunts where someone always ended up swapping guns with him due to the great preformance it had. Of course when this happend, they were generally always watched for the coming results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next would be my ex BIL's 10guage goose gun with slugs we decided would be fun to play with. One of the old bolt action jobs which had the barrel similar in length to some of the power poles. Not a fun thing to do.

Of late, my Ruger .308 Compact from the bench with stiff handloads, or any standard load for that matter. The thing just seems to knock the fun out of shooting it within about 5 rounds.

A friends Weatherby chambered in 7 mag which weighs about 7# fully loaded. Witht he 26" barrel and being so light it just stomps the crap outta ya no matter how you hold it. Still working on getting his loads worked up and not in any hurry to do much anytime soon. As mentioned it isn't the Ft/Lbs, but the FPS it comes back.

I shot a 375 H&H from a very light Remington African rifle, and put around 30 - 300gr rounds through it with less felt punishment, than from either of the two above mentioned ones. Heck the owner even had to pick up my hat and catch me and the chair a couple of shots. Sorta reminded me of what those fellows shooting the 577 looked like.

In handguns well I feel that my 454 is plenty of horsepower, and with 40 rounds of 260gr top end loads pushing hard on 2000/fps from the bench, left my arm and ahoulder sore for several days. It is a hoot to shoot but must be kept to moderation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.