Worst Kicking Firearm?????

I've shot Ruger #1 in 375 and 416 with no ill affects other than seeing a bunch of blue sky after the shot.

The worst real physical pain was induced by a 338 Win Mag w/250gr bullets at about 2800 in a very light, poorly shortened stock (cut at a pretty big angle). I threw the rifle on the ground after the second shot and did a bit of a rain dance with a flopping right arm. **** that hurt. The sad part was that the two shots were looing good @ 200. Went to the neighbors to borrow some 2" think heavy padding and finished the 3 shot group (about .7") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I then immediately went to redoing the stock.

The 2 that hurt me the most were a stock Remington 600,with the plastic butt plate in 350 Rem Mag shooting 250gr bullets.I doubt if the thing weighed 7 pounds.The other was a custom 375 H&H that weighed about 8 pounds,and was built for a guy that was 6-7".It had an LOP of about 15", about 2" longer than I use.

.50 encore with 150 777 300gr hornady .....and the ramrod with a brass jag on it. Still havent found that ramrod. Do not try this even if it looked cool when Daniel Boone did it on TV. At least I didnt need stitches, but I had to eat a lot of crow. I had made fun of three friends who had also accidentally left the ram rod in the barrel. All three of my friends needed stitches from severe scope cuts, so I was lucky.

In high school my friends and I loaded shotgun shells and shot clay pidgeons down at the river. I made the mistake of loading a bunch of 12 ga. rounds in my friend's company so I was good and distracted (a no no). Well, I loaded a double charge of powder and I shot a bird with my Dad's Win M-12. It spun me halfway around and really hurt. My friends said I got the bird. I'll have to take their word for it, I was turned the other way. The shotgun was ruined. Froze up and chamber swelled. I could read the headstamp on the bolt face after a smith got it open for me. Dad thought it was a good lesson, I have to agree.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Festus

I thought Weatherby's ingenious stock desing help cut down perceived recoil??? You wouldn't get me to shoot a 378 based anything w/out a brake, thats asking for it in my book.

I would have to say the most kicking SOB gun I have shot and own is my Remington 870 super mag w/ 3.5" 2.25 OZ #4 turkey loads. My dad bought me the shotgun when I was 12 and all of 100lb soak and wet, and I took it turkey hunting the following year with those 3.5" mags. I had no idea what was in store. We got a gobbler to come into about oh 50 yards or so, plenty close I thought with my super full choke and 3.5". Well I knew it was going to kick, but I had no idea on earth it was going to give me a bloody nose. It kicked me so hard that my right hand came up and wacked me in the nose. ANd to top it off, I didn't even get the turkey. I was still recooperating from the recoil and wondering what the heck just happened. I later read in a magazine that those loads have about 75lbs of recoil. Thats like pulling the trigger on (2) 300 RUMS at the same time. Ha ha ha, I still dont like shooting that **** thing to this day with those 3.5" 2.25oz turkey loads. Man just thinking about it makes my shoulder hurt.

I feel for ya REm 06, those turkey loads will set ya straight in life.

Reading all these is making my day at work start a hell of a lot better, LMAO!!!!!! ANybody out there ever shoot the old Knight MK-85 that didnt have a recoil pad, just the curved hard plastic end???? man those things will light you up!!!!!

keep em comin
steve

For me it was a 458 lott that this old rough guy at the range had. Of'course it makes a hell of a noise when fired and freindly as I am I asked what it was he was shooting. I'm not sure what the rifle was but it was an older one with a metal butt plate. He asked if I wold like to fire it and like an idiot I did ONCE!!! that was enough to make me realize I will not ever go that big.
I have a friend that shoots a 3.5 12 guage duck hunting and he says its no problem to handle but when he thinks i'm not looking I see him rub his shoulder. I told him if he would just get better at calling and have some paticence he could shoot just as many ducks and his shoulder wouldn't hurt when he was done, He said "my should don't hurt" Ha Ha
The next is a 378 wby there where so many years between the two I'm not sure which was worse the 458lott or the wby either way never again.
I like the 416 rigby for a large African type gun, It comfortable to shoot more like a great big push. This is big enough for me, I need no more power.
I'm just courious--Did you really shoot a 50bmg without a brake???? Ouch-ouch ouch **** ouch.

Rh

I was shooting clays one day and my uncle shows up with his new Browning semi auto 10 gauge and asked if I wanted to shoot it. Sure I say, that is when I thought "might as well shoot doubles".

He had loaded it with full house loads which felt like they had 2 cups of lead in them (they looked like hot dogs).

So I yell pull...CABLAMMO....that is when the first white flash happened....where am I, I thought..........Oh wait, the second bir...CABLAMMO........another white flash.......that is when I realized why those duck and goose hunters love to sit out in the nastiest weather. BRAIN DAMAGE!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The closest thing I can relate to that is when I got T-boned in my truck and my dead bounced off the door jamb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lerch ,
This is a good thread.

I shot my younger brothers cheap muzzleloader 3 777 pellets and a 300+gr bullet -WOW.Two [100gr] is plenty for me.
I have a turkey/yote rem 870 express and 3" win #4 buck is all i can handle.Patterning it was a lot of fun.

Once years ago my girlfriend went shooting w/me -shot a rimfire then 20ga browning autoloader.I told her to shoot that 12ga -nope - she put her hand by the edge of my shouder to feel the recoil -didn't feel to bad.Little did she know the next shell was a 3" magnum --bang she stumbled backwards w/a stunned look in her eyes and asked me what happened.

I saw on the web once where some middleastern guys were shooting a T-Rex i believe and everyone of them dropped the gun and nearly fell down.These guys were pretty small to.
Then they were riding a motorcycle and 4-wheeler in the dunes w/no idea of how to ride --some nice/stupid crashes.

I'm tuning a 270win -rem 700 and that is as large a cartridge as i care for w/o a brake -it has a hs precision stock.-Mike

Would have to be my lightweight 50 Allen Tactical. 14 lbs and drives a 750 gr A-Max to just shy of 2500 fps. It has a brake on it but to be honest, the brake really does nothing to slow recoil. I took it off and it feels no different. The reason is because the brake is only 1" in diameter and so there is only 1/4" of surface area for the muzzle gases to play against.

Also, the 50 AT is a very high expansion ratio round so there is not much muzzle pressure to start with.

She has caught me several time on the forhead hard enough to make things go black for a second or to!!!

Best example of its recoil. I was shooting for the first time off the bench, had a harris bipod mounted on the A-5 stock, was shooting over a 10 lb front sand bag and a small rabbit ear rear bag.

On the first shot the rifle came back with enough energy that the bipod hooked the 10 lb front bag, ripped it severely and litterally threw it back so hard it landed right in front of the rear bag before the rifle fell from its recoil arch. Landed muzzle hard on the shooting platform!!!

Oh, it also gave me a good ringer on the forhead as well.

I am looking to get her suppressed but need to save some cash for that.

Thats my choice, 50 AT with a 750 gr a-max at 2475 fps.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby , that definatly sounds like a canidated for a suppressor , the cost realy aint that bad if you build it yourself , I have a few and I made them all. I would have to say that their recoil reduction is better than any brake I have ever used and it takes the noise down to a tolerable level.

I have a 378wby improved i built...weighs 7#, umm...im scared to shoot it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Purdy little thing.
Ive shot a BMG with no brake, it wasnt that bad, just a big push. The 338 snipe-tac with no brake is uncomfortable, my neck still hurts thinking about it!

Glad to see so many people have enjoyed the 378 Weatherby experience.I was worried that it was just me and I was recoil sensitive!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.