working on 215 Vlds 300 ultra

thanks to broz and others the help me get to this point , next week i will shoot them thru my chrony, to set my drops and clicks .

Nice work!! That is a group to be proud of for sure. Man these 215's are shooting very well in many rifles..

Congrats!! and keep us posted as you stretch her out.

Jeff

Seems like a light load at 85 grains. Did you work up to that and get pressure? I am shooting the 215's with 91 gr H-1000, 215 fed match, Rem brass, COAL 3.843". No pressure in my rifle. I started load development at 87 grains and it shot very good. At 89 to 90 grains it did not shoot good, When I tried 91 grains it all came together and shoots nice tight groups. I am very interested to see what your muzzle velocity is.

I will post up speeds next week , no presser signs , not a hot load by any means but if I have accuracy I will give up speed , I should be around 2850 - 2900 .

Seems like a light load at 85 grains. Did you work up to that and get pressure? I am shooting the 215's with 91 gr H-1000, 215 fed match, Rem brass, COAL 3.843". No pressure in my rifle. I started load development at 87 grains and it shot very good. At 89 to 90 grains it did not shoot good, When I tried 91 grains it all came together and shoots nice tight groups. I am very interested to see what your muzzle velocity is.

What velocity are you getting how long is your barrel ?

Nice work!! That is a group to be proud of for sure. Man these 215's are shooting very well in many rifles..

Congrats!! and keep us posted as you stretch her out.

Jeff

Now I just need to find more to load so I and shoot some more :D

It is a factory Sendero barrel at 26" plus a brake. That is the only thing left from the factory. It has a jewel trigger, HS Precision stock adjustable LOP and cheek, atlas bipod, action work etc. I have been disappointed in my speeds. I am only at 2985 fps; but as you said I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for speed. Been thinking about ordering a 30" Lilja or Krieger and see what that would do.

Them are great velocities for a stock tube you still should be 1700 +- at 750 yards , how far have you stretched it out what groups are you getting ?

I have been disappointed in my speeds. I am only at 2985 fps; but as you said I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for speed.

Guys , don't sweat it. We killed game all season with the 300 wins around 3000 fps to way out there. As far as you need to take game with a 300 for sure.

Its nothing to sneeze at.

And remember, Many chronographs lie. Work out your drops and see where you are at.

Jeff

I thought the velocities were kind of slow. Some guys are getting the same speed as me or even higher with 300 WIN MAG. and 10 gr less powder. I only have targets set out to 700 yds. I did however shoot a buck in SASK this year at 724 yds. I plan on setting up to 880 yds or a little farther this spring. Hard to shoot here in Manitoba in winter. As far as MV at 750 yds, my SHOOTER program says 2068.6 fps with 2042.8 ftlbs energy. Groups if I do my part are one ragged hole at 100 and 200 yds. Shot a 3 shot 1.25" group at 400. Opens up a little at 500 to 700 yds but still under 1MOA; and I am sure it is because of my skill level and not the gun or the load.

It is a factory Sendero barrel at 26" plus a brake. That is the only thing left from the factory. It has a jewel trigger, HS Precision stock adjustable LOP and cheek, atlas bipod, action work etc. I have been disappointed in my speeds. I am only at 2985 fps; but as you said I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for speed. Been thinking about ordering a 30" Lilja or Krieger and see what that would do.
3K fps seems to be about it with a 220 class bullet in the 300 rum with a factory tube. My 225 hornady pills do the same speed with rl50; I haven't chrono'd with rl33 yet but the accuracy is there so I'll play if I can find some bullets.

Only got out today and ran 12 rounds down range
Volicity was 2915 with 85 grains of H 1000
Same jump to lands

Here is my 200 yard target clean barrel cold bore
I did have a cross wind today at 8 mph
I used my ballistic program
It was 9 MOA at 400 hit a 12x12 every time
Next time out I will take pic of the steel targets
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 43
Only got out today and ran 12 rounds down range
Volicity was 2915 with 85 grains of H 1000
Same jump to lands

Here is my 200 yard target clean barrel cold bore
I did have a cross wind today at 8 mph
I used my ballistic program
It was 9 MOA at 400 hit a 12x12 every time
Next time out I will take pic of the steel targets
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 41
9 MOA at 400 yards seems like a lot. I am right at 4 MOA @ 400 yds. 9 MOA takes me to 600 yds. 8.8 MOA to be exact. Stretched my 300 RUM out as far as I have shot today. Shot at 900 yds. Conditions were POOR! 30F 14.5 mph wind. Hit a 8X11 piece of paper 2 out of 3 times. Dialed 17.8 MOA up and 3.7 MOA for wind. Was not a 90 degree wind. Your 200 yd group looks good. It is tricky trying to shoot a tight group with even a 8 mph wind. what are you using to calculate your drops? I use Shooter.

You are correct I was 4.2 MOA at 400 and 8.9 MOA at 600 yards I just looked back at my log book , I had 9 stuck in my head for some reason ? Right now just using my 215 hybrids a few at at time all I have left is 40 bullets :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts