Working a Bolt Action Lefty Style

Josh Smith

Hi Folks,

I was asked on another board about sling positions and how do I work the bolt action on a rifle, anyway, without dismounting from my shoulder? I took pics and figured I'd post them here as well in the hopes it might help someone.

Hasty Hasty sling:

smith%20sights%20lefty%20hasty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

smith%20sights%20working%20action%20lefty%20hasty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

Hasty sling:

smith%20sights%20lefty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

smith%20sights%20working%20action%20lefty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

I hope this was informative. A lefty bolt is nice, but not necessary, and the lefty need not suffer due to a bolt action on the wrong side!

Regards,

Josh

It depends on the weight of the rifle for me when I'm using a righty rifle lefty. If it's over 10# or so I'll go over the top like you are showing, but the scope is in the way so a bit of rifle cant is necessary. If she's a sporter I'll simply hold the rifle at the wrist and operate the action as a righty would. I also don't usually sling up when hunting. I've done it but for small-bore match years ago; shooting jacket and sling were nearly mandatory for that.
I much prefer lh rifles to rh rifles in the field as I'm tracking the critter in the scope and don't want to be fiddling with the rifle. That said, I've taken many of my longest shots with a rh rifle shot lh.

I'm a lefty.

A typical bolt gun that is RH with the bolt angled down plus a scope mounted to it is much harder to manipulate from the shoulder.

That's why I shoot LH bolts. Plus it feels more natural for me.

I have a lefty friend that shoots right hand rifles. He always uses a Harris bipod or a tripod standing when hunting. He holds the stock at the grip with his left hand resting the forend on the pod after shooting and cycling the action with his right hand. He can cycle as fast or better than a right hand shooter on the same rifle. Also his follow up shots are quick.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.