word of advise form the pros pls

sandzzzzz

Thinking of purchasing my first hunting rifle, i just want to make it a lifelong purchase, so what would you suggest, to be best for may be deer, boars and some bigger antilopes, and what caliber, actualy i was thikning lightbulbof getting wenchester mod 70 , 300 . pls suggest.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Get a rifle that you can shoot effectively and consistently ... and don't get trapped on the "magnum-itis". :rolleyes: I have a couple of .300 WM (and .338 WM) that I hunt with from antelope to moose size game with 180gr and up pills. Shot placement is "key" to humane harvest of game animals. Practice, practice, practice!

I guarantee this is not your last purchase.:)

Good luck and have a happy safe hunt.

V/R

Ed

thanx a lot for your advise, i am pritty sure what rifle i want to get, but not sure in what caliber, i know it wont be easy to practice a lot if i get it in 300, as you know the ammo is not cheap or i have to start to reload:rolleyes:, lets see what happens? thanx again.

For the first gun, to use a life time, and leave for the next gen, to have fun, keep it as inexpensive and still get the job done, and harvest the north american horned/antlered animals, though not at extremely long ranges, but to 700-800 yds, why not go with an '06 size case.

The 25, 6.5, 270 or 30 would be decent choices, leaning towards the 6.5 and above.

Until I got hooked on this LRH thing, the 270 win lasted me for 40 years and it's still a good goto rifle, 'cept I gave it to my son.

ya i was thinking of that my self as the ammo for 300 wm is abt $30 for a box of 20, not a very good load if u want to practice a lotgun)

I'll differ just slightly from royinidaho....

6.5, 7mm (.284), .30 All of these calibers offer great bullet choices with great BCs.

6.5: .260Rem, 6.5RemMag

7mm: .280Rem, .280AI, .284Win, 7mm-08

.30: .308Win, 300WSM

Recently I was thinking that if I had only three rifles.....

.260Rem
.284Win
300WSM

In terms of a platform from which to begin, if I were you, I would look at Savage and Remington. Both have excellent reputations for accuracy and aftermarket parts are abundant.

Last edited:
thanx a lot for all your advise, but is it possible to have a hunting rifle in a calib which you can take to the range more often for practice, or should i say which could be more affordable.:rolleyes:

thanx a lot for all your advise, but is it possible to have a hunting rifle in a calib which you can take to the range more often for practice, or should i say which could be more affordable.

If you want a cartridge that can do it all...inexpensive, won't eat your barrel with a lot of practice and is a good hunter.....easy.....308win

There's lots of surplus ammo and other inexpensive factory ammo. If you treat your barrel right and don't pound rounds threw a hot barrel all the time you can get 5000 to 8000 rounds of barrel life. Also, with good factory hunting ammo or handloads you can take deer at 700 yards with a 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.