wood stock for long heavy barrel?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by midwesthunter, Jan 30, 2013.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Looking at using a Bobby hart LRT laminated stock for a current build, 7mm RUM 32" barrel with .970 finish at muzzle. Am I asking for trouble with this stock? Or would it be ok with a proper bedding job?

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

It should be fine. Might want to look at one of his aluminum bedding block laminate stock. That will eliminate the need for bedding it with epoxy or devcon.

3. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

You will be fine. Here is a 6mm-284, SA Rem 700 with giant Bartlein barrel in a Bobby Hart bedded which shoots just fine.

[​IMG]

4. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Not if you are trying to maximize the accuracy capability of the barreled action....

5. AZShooter

Of course there are other laminates you could use like this Joel Russo stock which as a 30" #7 Lilja. (Hi Joel!)

[​IMG]

6. midwesthunter

Thanks
    Very nice rig

7. midwesthunter

True, but already have the other stock :D

8. AZShooter

Joel was just on figured it would be nice to mention him.....

9. Joel Russo

Thanks Ross...:)

The LRT will work fine for your build, but may have a short forend for your length of barrel. I've installed a few of the bedding blocks on request. My personal opinion is that they can never duplicate the performance of the conventional pillar bed.

10. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

Joel

If a guy had a laminated stock with a bedding block, and then bedded it with say devcon wouldn't that be about as good as you can get?

11. Joel Russo

Yes, it would providing the bedding block is installed in the stock correctly. I mill out enough aluminum to make room for my bedding. Which sort of defeats the purpose of having the bedding block in there in the first place..

If you were wanting to use one stock and change barreled actions frequently, the bedding block is the way to go.