Wood Laminate????

My custom 338 RUM is in the factory Rem wood lammy stock. Glass bedded only w no pillars. I have 500 rounds shot and my zero has not changed. I have had it in the rain for 10 days straight on several trips. One trip saw rain then temp dip to below zero then up to 40 degrees. My opinion is: it looks good but not better than Walnut , its heavy , not permeable to water because of all the glue, kicks more than a regular wood stock or Tupperware because of the density of the wood and glue (my theory is the recoil is transferred more rapidly through the dense material), very durable. I m happy with mine and wouldn't trade it after seeing first hand all the abuse it will take.

My custom 338 RUM is in the factory Rem wood lammy stock. Glass bedded only w no pillars. I have 500 rounds shot and my zero has not changed. I have had it in the rain for 10 days straight on several trips. One trip saw rain then temp dip to below zero then up to 40 degrees. My opinion is: it looks good but not better than Walnut , its heavy , not permeable to water because of all the glue, kicks more than a regular wood stock or Tupperware because of the density of the wood and glue (my theory is the recoil is transferred more rapidly through the dense material), very durable. I m happy with mine and wouldn't trade it after seeing first hand all the abuse it will take.

Glad it didn't catch on fire or start warping after all those rounds! LOL! Like I said, I've got laminate on all my hunting rifles, an like you, wouldn't have it any other way!

DT

Yeah, ten years back I bucked up for a high end McMillan Kevlar stock for my 30 Newton. Real light weight affair, I wanted a light weight hunting rifle. Took it to the Missouri Breaks and fell down and broke it. It was a very small hit to the rifle. You couldn't take one on a horse back hunt, not tough enough.

Yeah, ten years back I bucked up for a high end McMillan Kevlar stock for my 30 Newton. Real light weight affair, I wanted a light weight hunting rifle. Took it to the Missouri Breaks and fell down and broke it. It was a very small hit to the rifle. You couldn't take one on a horse back hunt, not tough enough.

Looks like you an I are on the same page!!!! There is another gentleman an friend on this forum that is having heck out of McMillan also!!! I personally don't think I'll spend my money there!!! Just my 2cts!!!!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.