Wood Laminate????

That "gunsmith" doesn't know what he is talking about. Laminates are much better than wood, hands down. Cant argue the point, its fact. just look at plywood compared to dimensional lumber of the same thickness. one moves a lot, the other doesn't.

Fiberglass on the other hand is better than both but... a lot more money for minimal gain. Don't get fiberglass confused with synthetic, they are VERY different. Most synthetics are injection moulded crap.

What do you think that fiberglass is laid on...an air model? A MOLDED Styrofoam model and built up from that.

What do you think that fiberglass is laid on...an air model? A MOLDED Styrofoam model and built up from that.

I think you answered your own question!! You are right, fiberglass is laid!! Not injected in a mold all at one time like synthetic! Guess I'm curious now, but how do the fibers an glass get injected? I've seen glass fibers an rosin sprayed into a mold or hand laid, but never injected under pressure into a mold like synthetic plastic! Mabey I'm missing something here!

I think you answered your own question!! You are right, fiberglass is laid!! Not injected in a mold all at one time like synthetic! Guess I'm curious now, but how do the fibers an glass get injected? I've seen glass fibers an rosin sprayed into a mold or hand laid, but never injected under pressure into a mold like synthetic plastic! Mabey I'm missing something here!

Its called the chop coat. Fiber pieces along with resin are sprayed onto a surface that consists of various lamination's of cloth and weave fiberglass. The tool used is called a "chopper gun"...looks like a normal spray gun at first glance

Its called the chop coat. Fiber pieces along with resin are sprayed onto a surface that consists of various lamination's of cloth and weave fiberglass. The tool used is called a "chopper gun"...looks like a normal spray gun at first glance

I compleatley agree with that! Not to get off track, the boat building business is really big down here. I've seen a chop gun in action, an yes the fibers an rosin are sprayed into a open mold then the other half is put on top an tightend down, but I've never seen fiberglass injected under pressure! Anyway, the OP asked about laminate( back on track again!! Whew!!) my vote is you can't go wrong with laminate!! Just my 2cts

DT

Call Bill Shehane at Scopeusout.com 1-704-824-7511 . Gorgeous stocks and a great guy to deal with. Of course, Russo ain't bad.....

I've got a bobby heart stock from stocky with the accublock option absolutely love it and it shows up finished

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_134938_825.jpg
    IMG_20130831_134938_825.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 56

You have a mould, but it doesn't become part of the stock. There are also fillers once the shell is made, but the strength and rigidity comes from the fiberglass. I actually tried to make a fiberglass stock once, and failed miserably. just didn't have the proper tools or a place to do it.

Sorry to the OP, getting back on track...

I feel for economic builds or something that you want to be "pretty", laminates are the way to go!

It's all good guys no apology needed. Talked to the smith again yesterday he is still firm about not using laminate. He said there ok for hunting. But if you target practice and shoot much the resin will heat up and move all over the place.

It's all good guys no apology needed. Talked to the smith again yesterday he is still firm about not using laminate. He said there ok for hunting. But if you target practice and shoot much the resin will heat up and move all over the place.

Take him to the county fair with you.....thats the second largest pile of ******** you'll find.

That resin is good to 500+ degrees temp. If it gets THAT hot...the wood has already burst into flames.

Buy the stock you want...hand it to him...and tell him that what you want YOUR rifle stocked with

He's the smith, and you are the customer. Tell him what YOU want to do and have him do it. If he doesn't like that then I guess it may be time to look for a different smith.

I have a laminate stock on my 220 Swift and I have not noticed the resin getting soft one little bit. The gun is a tack driver. I shot steel with it at 533 yards a couple weeks ago, and the barrel got a little on the warm side, but the point of impact didn't change one iota.

I say get whatever you want. Laminates are heavy, but great if you don't mind the weight.

I bought a Boyds laminate thumbhole in Royal Jacaranda finished for my Rem. 700 BDL. Arrived in a week after ordering it , the fit was perfect. One sweet looking rifle now. Just my 2 centsgun)

I think your smith might have a chemical dependency!!! If he's firm on not doin what you ask, then tell him that you are firm in gettin another smith!!!! If he thinks that the rosin will get to hot an everything will move around( tell him I've got a bridge I want to sell him) he's FULL OF BS!!!!!!!! It's not what he wants, it's what you want.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.