Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

We were later told that you can shoot an animal if you are threatened is this true? If it is true couldn't the residents carry a pistol while walking and jogging and if threatened shoot the wolfe's legally?

bigbuck

Perfectly legal to kill an animal in the defense of life or property in this State. Sad story for this young woman was she was a relatively new arrival to Alaska, and was involved with the educational system (may have been a school teacher). She was an active athletic type and was out walking jogging to get some excercise. She was probably told the bears were all in hibernation and didn't feel the need to be packing a firearm in the middle of winter. It would be fair to say she wasn't a seasoned Alaskan with experience in the wilds of Alaska. Had been in Alaska for less than one year and was in a foreign local and environment.

I'm almost always packing a firearm when I'm out and about. It doesn't happen frequently even with bears, but all it takes to end a life is one unlucky incident. I've bumped into brown bears in my own yard on more than one occasion. Been stalked by a black bear in the mountains while hunting black bear. Easiest bear ever. He snuck up on me from downwind while I was sleeping. Pasted him at 20 feet with 7mm Rem Mag & 160 gr Nosler Accubond while he was staring me down. One shot corrected that bears attitude. Good thing PETA wasn't there - I'd have been lynched.

Last edited:
Re: wolf attack

Current U.S. human population estimates.

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.

Nope shoot the idiot's that legalized it !!

Current U.S. human population estimates.

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.

I may be taking this the wrong way, so I'll give this post enough respect to ask the question(s); What is your point? 1) That the life of a human killing wolf deserves value and respect equivalent to a human? Or 2) That human killing drunk drivers should be shot & killed in common with human killing wolves?

phorwath, i may do that...

BB,I am not in any way insinuating that there is a wolf/people problem here that is going to get out of hand. As far as i am concerned, anyone who hikes/jogs in remote areas such as this with no concern for their safety deserves just what she got. One of the parents were interveiwed and stated that "she would not want the wolves killed" so i guess she took her chances and died for her efforts.

My concern for the wolf and the idiocy of transplanting them back into portions of the country where we have worked for a hundred yrs to get rid of the **** things is the fact that they are decimating our game herds. All the touchy feely wolf huggers out there should be made to witness the taking down of an elk and eating it while it is still alive, or better yet just eating the tounge and leaving the rest.

Make no mistake about why the huggers have done this. Now that we have the worlds best predator doing our killing for us, there is now no need for hunting as a game management tool. AJ

Last edited:

Perfectly legal to kill an animal in the defense of life or property in this State. Sad story for this young woman was she was a relatively new arrival to Alaska, and was involved with the educational system (may have been a school teacher). She was an active atheletic type and was out walking jogging to get some excercise. She was probably told the bears were all in hibernation and didn't feel the need to be packing a firearm in the middle of winter. It would be fair to say she wasn't a seasoned Alaskan with experience in the wilds of Alaska. Had been in Alaska for less than one year and was in a foreign local and environment.

I'm almost always packing a firearm when I'm out and about. It doesn't happen frequently even with bears, but all it takes to end a life is one unlucky unlucky incident. I've bumped into brown bears in my own yard on more than one occasion. Been stalked by a black bear in the mountains while hunting black bear. Easiest bear ever. He snuck up on me from downwind while I was sleeping. Pasted him at 20 feet with 7mm Rem Mag & 160 gr Nosler Accubonds while he was staring me down. One shot corrected that bears attitude. Good thing PETA wasn't there - I'd have been lynched.

man you Alaskins must be tough Bumped into a brown bear while in your own yard , I would hate to be mowing the lawn round the corner of the wood shed and their stands something that thinks I would make a good snack :D Oh well then again you wouldn't have to go far to hunt....

maybe someone will start a Thread/ poll about dangerous encounters in the wild...

bigbuck

I may be taking this the wrong way, so I'll give this post enough respect to ask the question(s); What is your point? 1) That the life of a human killing wolf deserves value and respect equivalent to a human? Or 2) That human killing drunk drivers should be shot & killed in common with human killing wolves?

Man you've got a slick way with words I like it !! I'm going to go so I don't get into trouble :)

bigbuck

PW, i went and tried to edit but it wouldnt let me change the title. AJ

After clicking on 'Edit' in the lower right hand portion of your first post, then click on 'Go Advanced' in the lower right corner of the edit screen. At that point you will be allowed to edit the Title of the Thread. After editing the Title, click on 'Save Changes' and the mission will have been accomplished.

I would much rather have read this headline in the papers this morning..." "Courageous young woman defends herself from a pack of marauding wolves with a legally carried handgun, while jogging in remote alaskan wilderness"

Safety starts first with the attitude that "i will not become a victim." The statistics would show that her life was probably a lot more threatened by varmints of the 2 legged variety than by wolves, but the fact is, you just never know what might happen. I am a pretty tough sorta fellow in reasonable shape and can handle myself well i feel, but i carry a firearm everywhere i go. The moral of this story should be , 'Be Prepared'. AJ

10-4. These wolves could have met a different end, and the story could have ended differently. This poor lady is the first documented 'unlucky' victim of wolves in our State. One of the few ever documented in world history. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... I'm fully with you. But I've been born and raised to hunt, trap, and fish. She undoubtedly had a different background, and in all honesty, none of the locals in Chignik Bay or any other community of Alaska would have been raising the warning threat of killer wolves. Until now...

One of the parents were interveiwed and stated that "she would not want the wolves killed" so i guess she took her chances and died for her efforts.

I think her parents are wrong. I'll bet she wanted those wolves dead when they where chewing on her and she was still alive.

Last edited:

I think her parents are wrong. I'll bet she wanted those wolves dead when they where chewing on her and she was still alive..

Slippery Rock, PA - nah that thinking is typical for that college town. **** near messed up the rest of my life by almost attending Slippery Rock State Teachers College back in the late 50s. I count that as a near miss.

"We were later told that you can shoot an animal if you are threatened is this true?"

The key word here is "can". The argument between "can" and "may" comes after the "can" happens.

Bobcat and Cougar skirmishes are a regular feature of outdoor life around Los Alamos NM. Most people from the Lab wouldn't even consider carrying a defensive weapon while outdoors.

However, the Los Alamos is one of the most heavily weaponized towns in the country.

Tracks in the snow have shown that me and my hunting buddy have been seriously evaluated by grizz and cougar though no incident occurred. We never knew they were there......:rolleyes:

Me an my hunting buddies have had packs follow us in the mountains several times, this is only going to get worse. One buddy had to actually fire warning shots to try to keep them far enough away till they got to the truck in the dark. NOT cool. Wolves come into ranch yards all the time here, they are more bold than a lion of bear or even a coyote. Mt killed around 250 last year and we still saw a 4% increase in pairs. Hopefully the quota will be in the 300 range next year.
Sad that some one got killed but in this predator happy time you have to pack, shoot first ask questions later!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts