Wolf scoreboard.

Can't tell gender from the pic but if that's a female, we be in trouble.

All pics I have seen, which is only several, have been very large.

Google on wolf packs for some pack size guestimates.

How much would a wolf like that weigh, and how many are usually running in a pack when they are hunting?

edge.

I'm not a good weight guesser, but the fellow I know that's killed probably 200 in BC, his own traps, and guiding trapline clients for many years, says 125 lbs is big 140 is over the top. The biggest reported in the transplant data was 135lbs. Consider this quote by Ed Bangs western grey wolf transplant coordinator-you could put your beagle in a blender and at the end could not tell it from a wolf by dna. That was 1997 I don't know what dna science was or is, but google wolf dog hybrid killed in Idaho and read some of the articles that come up. Here's my point we have no idea what they have crossed these **** things with, maybe they don't either!

I had a purebred/registered/etc Malamute male. He was the wheel dog :rolleyes: on my 3 dog sled team. He weighed in a 130# in running shape. His build wasn't nearly as streamlined as the wolf but wasn't nearly the size of any of the big woofs I've seen pics of.

He was great with other dogs, except males that wouldn't let him be the alpha. Had to whoop an Akita a couple of times until things got settled out. It was brutal. Didn't witness the arguments but neither dog was very pretty after the fact. Also he was a cat, chicken, turkey killin' sonofagun. Never witnessed that either. Just found piles of dirt with feathers or fur sticken out.

Here's my point we have no idea what they have crossed these **** things with, maybe they don't either!
I have talked to Canadians about this and they say their wolves have lived in "harmony" with elk for decades without the drastic reduction in elk populations we have seen. USFWS has deliberately imported the fiercest and fastest reproducing wolf in the world. The planned elk extermination program has been a resounding success.

How much would a wolf like that weigh, and how many are usually running in a pack when they are hunting?

edge.
The wolf I got a good close look at weighed 71lbs. It was a three year old male, that looks pretty big in the pictures, but the skinned out body looked like a stretched out, long legged 71 pound coyote. I have 4 friends that also have had a real close look, and they were all very similiar in size, but from three different packs.
The wolves i played with the most intimately were in a pack of 11, that were often in sub-groups of 4 and 7.

What would be the hieght of a standing wolf from the ground to the top of his back? I wanted to hunt MT. this year but couldn't. If the season is extended i will be out thier trying to take one.

Just got this picture - Massive wolf shot in Idaho;

Attachments

• wolf.jpg
    wolf.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 108
That's the scariest thing I've since I was 4, and my aunt and uncle, held me down and made me watch Lon Chaney turn into a werewolf! Lord let that be computer enhanced.

I was at local taxidermist, when we had last wolf hunt 2 yrs. ago and a guy stopped in w/ one, it was 132 lbs. hung on scale

I think these pics are coming out of MT. Friend has a friend who owns a show horse operation there keeps Facebooking these.

For comparison:

Attachments

• 1 Woof & Yote.jpg
    1 Woof & Yote.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 127
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.