Wolf scoreboard.

I've killed scores of coyotes. Never been wolf hunting. I'd love to go sometime. How is the best way to go about this?

I've killed scores of coyotes. Never been wolf hunting. I'd love to go sometime. How is the best way to go about this?
Where you're from will dictate many of your LEGAL choices. I live close enough to Idaho my plan is to get my NR license after the first of the year, this gets me the end of the season this year and beginning of it next season. Lot's of travel, locate, and electronic calling.
Additionally I plan to hunt BC in 2014. Guided trapline, calling, and long range bait sets with a guide I know that's kills 25-30 every year for 10 years.
I've ate 4 or 5 wolf tags, even where densities are good, and wolves aren't real educated it's a tough point to make. I've seen and heard them, but getting a shot off hasn't happened.
Keep at it at hope you get lucky.

Well Sako7STW I believe Wyoming will get it's turn. Lot's of disagreement, but I'm on the side that thinks Wyoming did it right. Stuck to her guns up front, paid the price and will reap dividends in terms of hunting opportunity down the road. I'd cite as evidence the numbers of kills members of this forum alone have posted this season, as well the high number of non-residents seeking info on how to get started in WYOMING! Check out TikkaMike poor guy ran the battery in range finder out! (I'm laughing Mike hope you will too) I didn't get my Wyo fix this year, but a road trip is still possible.
So, go console yourself by shooting something else! LOL! I hope the envy I have for you Wyoming hunters comes through.

I hate to highjack the thread again, but I just read that Montana FWP has just proposed a new bill that would allow a property owner to let a hunter kill any wolf that has killed livestock on his/her land. The catch is, it will only be legal if FWP oks it first. The article is a little vague and I haven't been able to read the actual proposal, but it sounds like a step in the right direction. It's not a shoot on sight order yet, but it might get us a little closer. In the mean time, if you live in the Northwest, do the right thing... buy a tag, and carry a rifle at all times.

I just got this in an email:

She had been bow hunting using a cow call near Headquarters, Idaho. She changed her position and was crossing an open meadow when the wolf appeared at the edge. It saw her and the wind was blowing directly from her to the wolf. She raised her arms and waved them to catch it's attention, it came straight for her. The bow was dropped and the S&W M-29 44 Magnum was deployed. She made the 1st shot at about 10 feet, hitting it above the left eye. It dropped and changed direction, trying to get away after the shot. She shot it again in the lungs, then a 3rd time in the neck. It took two men to lift it into the pick-up.

She's a tall women, about 5' 11" and pretty tough. She hunts bear and cougar with hounds - her own hounds! Her husband is a long range shooter and is adept at making 600 plus yard shots. The lady, however, is the one who busts the brush with bow or rifle. The wolf's size comes into perspective when you compare her size to it.

Another report was received this week was from Tim Johnson of Fishhawk Guides in Clarkston, the fellow who donates fishing trips to our Elmer Keith Shoots each year. He reports: "One of my Idaho Outfitter friends hunted a group of out-of-state elk archery hunters from the Great Lakes region last week and they called in a pack of 17 wolves by cow calling. None of the hunters had a sidearm or wolf tag and it was a very traumatic experience as the wolves surrounded the hunters! All hunters went home early very disturbed claiming these wolves are very different from the Great Lakes wolves as they claimed "These Idaho wolves actually "Hunt" you and were not afraid us!"

Attachments

• !cid_BE36E9F6-94E9-4B60-8026-FF68E1D9211C.jpg
    !cid_BE36E9F6-94E9-4B60-8026-FF68E1D9211C.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 99
Talked with a friend in Great Falls yesterday. Montana count is 73 , and they are closing WMU 390 Wednesday evening, becuase the quota of 18 was met on tuesday.

She's a tall women, about 5' 11" and pretty tough. She hunts bear and cougar with hounds - her own hounds! Her husband is a long range shooter and is adept at making 600 plus yard shots. The lady, however, is the one who busts the brush with bow or rifle. The wolf's size comes into perspective when you compare her size to it.

That's one helluva dog!!

I don't see any animal competing with predators of that size and attitude!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.