Wolf killed on TV sheep hunt.

ol mike

Howdy ,

I did some couch hunting this morning and saw a pretty good show.It was "hunting americana" i think <-could be wrong because i don't generally like most hunting shows.
Anyway a young hand had won a hunt and shot a mountain goat in the yukon using a 338 federal cartridge [308 necked up to 338].
They were hunting out of a small boat and i believe they were after caribou after taking the goat.A wolf pack howled pretty close by and they started running for the boat --well that pigued my interest.I figured this might be going to get real silly so i watched more closely,the guide got the hunters set-up at the waters edge and did a voice call to the wolves.They started howling back and in short order a big black wolf walked out to the edge of the brush on the other side of the river and took a 338 federal thru the chest!
The shows host [he and a guide -guided the contest winning hunter] was sitting in the open using binos and looking for the wolves before the shot.The way he was turning his head back and forth so fast -i'd have to say there was alot of luck on their side ,the guide said getting a mature wolf like this was very lucky.
The host also explained statistics of how wolves wipe out game populations -killing 85% of the fawn/calf crop.
Getting a wolf is on my list of things to do someday!Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts