Wolf, Coyote or Coywolf??

I am unfamiliar with the term "coye/wolf" however in Eastern Wash there were more then average size Yote's on the YTC over the years, which they (the Army) called "coye/dogs because; they believe they were breeding with feral near undomesticated canine stray's on the center which came from surrounding farms and ranches; which at some point created the hybrid. I've seen and killed a few of those Yote's over the years on the training center, and they can be bigger than your average Western Yote. I spoke with a Washington State Game biologist once about the possibility of a coye/dog and he seemed to think it was feasible.

With that said; in my Northern Idaho hunting days, the only time I saw a Coyote and a North West Wolf together is when the Wolf or Wolves were killing it, and I mean killing it!.. they (the Wolves) never seemed to have any other interest in that Coyote. Coyote's don't last long in Wolf country, they impact the Wolves rice bowl and a Wolf won't stand for that from any animal.

So that my .02 and past experience with the subject.
Cheer's

Awesome pics!

I have never seen a wolf, we dont have them in Indiana (as far as I know), but ive seen plenty of yotes, and if thats all coyote, then thats the biggest most wolf looking coyote Ive ever seen.

I'd have to go along with "it's a larger than average Coyote". From what I understand the Yotes in the North East get a little bigger than the one in the South/West.. It's reported that one of the biggest Coyotes in the N/E reached near 75 lbs while in the S/W about 50 lbs. It seems they migrated from the N/E to the S/W over time. The Yote in the photo is large, but I don't believe it's in the 75 lbs weight range by a long shot.
I should have mentioned, there's really nothing there in the photo to give the Coyote size by scale.
Cheer's

Black stripe down the front leg is a dead giveaway..big for a western but here in the east the male all look like this picture..

In NC, USFWS releases Red Wolves which very readily interbreed with coyotes. Out of the first 51 litters born, 11 litters were hybrid litters with coyotes. Of the 24 current packs in our state, 11 consist of a coyote with a wolf mate. Our genious government thinks they can sterilize, through vasectomies and tubal ligations, all the coyotes that venture into wolf territory to keep them from interbreeding. Let me tell you from first hand experience, the wolves and all the resulting hybrids have destoyed the deer population on my farm in northeastern NC. The Feds have collared 60 wolves out of 100 and 65 coyotes and hybrids out of thousands. The Feds can not even distinguish a true red wolf anymore without DNA testing the animal. They then impose a one year jail term and $100,000 fine for shooting a wolf. As a land owner, you are left defenseless because so many different animals are collared and they all look alike. If you make a mistake, you go to jail and are fined $100,000. Some wolves are collared, some have tracking devices implanted in the abdomen. We have many liberals in our state and the media constantly offers rewards when a wolf is killed. I met with the NC Wildlife Resources Director and the USFWS Director of the Red Wolf program last month and I handed the Red Wolf Director 30 or so trail cam pics and asked him to identify which pics were wolves and which were coyotes or hybrids. After several minutes and many puzzling looks, he handed the pics back and said he could not identify what species the animals were!!!! I am mounting a big effort to shut this program down in our state. It has been a huge failure and has actually exacerbated our coyote problem by producing a hybrid super coyote which we can not kill because it is so similar in looks to the protected wolf. The program was begun in 1987. In 1999 there were 95 wolves. Today, they estimate there are 90 - 110 wolves and untold numbers of hybrids. The program is 26 years old and the growth has completely stagnated at half of their stated goal of 220. So after we have wasted millions of tax payer dollars for 26 years, the government has been successful at two things. They have created a new hybrid coyote in our state which has devastated our deer herds and most important to them, they have kept several liberal biologists and countless government workers employed.

Id say that's a coy-wolf for sure look at its body build compared to a normal yote. I mean just look at the front legs on that sob. way bigger then any coyote I've ever killed.. The face is a dead give away for the yote side of the mix. I wish we could get year round hunting with no limits here in Montana.... **** things are every where over here. Reported three just north on me over by wolf creek and the Fwp biologist said: they must have been big coyotes there isn't any wolves over there. It took all I had to bite my tongue. Me: so if there is absolutely no chance there are wolves over there and they are just big coyotes I can shoot them right?? Fwp: well its your responsibility to make sure they aren't wolves before you shoot them as coyotes.. Me: well im trying to tell you there are wolves over there... Fwp: No sir there aren't wolves in that area. Me: there are wolves in every area your just to blind to see...

The biologist is a well educated individual. So if he or she says that there are no wolves in that area, then you shoot, shoot and shoot some more and just leave the yotes for the buzzards. Don't make it complicated :D

Ya I hear ya but I've already been down that road with theses guys. I had a newbie warden call me into the office for a few questions. I sat down at the table he asked me if I had been in this area around this time I said yes he then said I am now going to read you your Maranda rights now and then ask you a few more queations. With his hand on his gun the whole time he did and I then asked him am I under arrest? He said no. I said well being that you have now ****ed me off I will not be answering any of your questions, got up and left. Later that week I had a nice meeting with the head warden... Not about anything that had gone on up hunting but about his all hi and mighty warden.

Howdy Folks,

Well I finally got back the DNA results on this thread I started almost a year ago with the pictures I posted. The DNA from the Ministry of Natural Resources came back as "Eastern Red Wolf" . The DNA did not show the characteristics of a coyote, and had no coyote mixed in it at all as previously thought.

I guess we all learned something on this one, I know I sure did and now can't wait to hunt these wolves in my area!

Thanking you all in advance for your informative input.

Cheers

Jaime

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.