Wolf bounty... maybe

threejones

Todays Daily Interlake has a great little article about a petition started in Ravalli County by local ranchers who are fed up with rising wolf numbers (I'd post a link but I read it in the actual, and it's easy to find anyway). The article states that according to MT FWP, the wolf numbers in that area are up 15% after the wolf hunt ended. They're proposing a bounty be placed on wolves to reduce numbers. No one seems to know what will happen with it yet, but if they can work it out. It could be a huge step in the right direction. Plus I think it'd be a cool way to bring a couple jobs into the valleygun)! Hope it works out for em.
Cody

The paper Headlines- MT wolf population up 15%. To at least 653 animals, 130 verified packs, great:cool:

The paper Headlines- MT wolf population up 15%. To at least 653 animals, 130 verified packs, great:cool:

Makes it really hard to figure out how the season can be closed, even though they know that we've exceeded the target population by yet another 15% It defies logic.
Cody

Rooster, I am bringing up a young man, just turned 17. And we dont have hunting like, or like you had. But we get after it and hunt the high tough, wilderness stuff. And I never thought I would see the day where it is getting so poor. I like to trophy hunt and look for a mature animal, as I have as I got older and the game is just not there. It saddens me to see such a thing ,that did not have to be, and now the damage is done. I am sure where you are at it has financially ruined many multi generational businesses. Montana is a vast state, and I THOUGHT i HAD MISSED the good old days. My son started loosing interest this year, do to the lack of game. It is hard to wrap my head around it, have spent some good times in Idaho also

The bulk of whatever hunting time I have left, I expect it to be predator hunting. Hopefully, states will recognize the impact of all types predators, and liberalize the seasons.

Has the S&K tribe done anything to lower numbers of wolves this winter? Normally they do as they please in this regard. Think it's time the state looks at $$ bounty as a tool to rebuild the game populations. MTG

We can only hope that the tide changes before it's too late. For guys like 6x6 and myself in the NW, it may be too late to see herds get back to the numbers we saw as kids. I'm lucky to have family that ranch in the SE part of MT. They've got a ton of land with a ton of elk and deer, and no friggin wolves! But most folks around here aren't that lucky.

I think it's time for all of us to start predator hunting WAY more often. I'm even going to take the state Predator Control test, and get my certification. I'm not sure what good it'll do, but at least I'll be certified to do what I'd be doing anyway. Who knows, maybe people will be more apt to let a "State Certified" guy hunt their land (plus I might be able to use my gun habit as a tax write-off:D)

Cody

We can only hope for this. I saw another one today while coyote hunting, **** muts! There are packs in the Shields Velley that they will not even acknowledge!
I hate em!
If they won't acknowledge them, then they can't fine you for shooting them... can they? You can't shoot what isn't there... right...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.