Wnchester 70 vs Remington 700 XCR tactical long range

Dmax- a krieger barrel or equivalent is the fastest and cheapest way to an accurate rifle. the problem is it take 18 weeks to get the barrel. you could try a brux, broughton hart ect . i say get the the remington start shooting now.

Where are you located and how fast can you get a barrel? I know of a very good gunsmith who could help, depending where you are and how far you are willing to travel. If you have a barrel or can get one quickly. PM me if you like.

Bughole barrels has a rock creek #4 ss fluted 27" to finish at 26" $435 in stock. Took less than 60 seconds to find a top quality barrel in stock.

Also some 7mm barrels you could make into a 7mm rem mag on that action. 180gr berger vlds out of a 7mm rem mag is an awesome elk killer.

The SAAMI spec cartridge length of the 300 Win Mag is 3.34". Winchester has historically manufactured the model 70 in 300 Win mag with a magazine to fit that length but not much extra. The Rem 700 uses their standard "long action" for the 300 win mag which has a 3.6" magazine.

I have a 300 Win mag Larado model which has good accuracy with factory ammo. I also have a Rem 700 Sendero, which can shoot heavier VLD bullets with handloads with up to a 3.60 cartridge overall length. That allows both more usable case capacity and higher ballistic coefficients. That results in longer range, more delivered energy, and lower wind deflection.

So my choice is ... both.

The SAAMI spec cartridge length of the 300 Win Mag is 3.34". Winchester has historically manufactured the model 70 in 300 Win mag with a magazine to fit that length but not much extra. The Rem 700 uses their standard "long action" for the 300 win mag which has a 3.6" magazine.

I have a 300 Win mag Larado model which has good accuracy with factory ammo. I also have a Rem 700 Sendero, which can shoot heavier VLD bullets with handloads with up to a 3.60 cartridge overall length. That allows both more usable case capacity and higher ballistic coefficients. That results in longer range, more delivered energy, and lower wind deflection.

So my choice is ... both.

I'm thinking a properly fitted Wyatt's Extended Box Magazine would solve the magazine length shortcoming. It might even allow a fella to re-barrel to a RUM cartridge, if desired.

Of course, you can shoot with long bullets loaded to whatever OAL you like if you don't mind single feeding.

I own a Winchester Model 70 Classic SS w/BOSS and a Remington 700 Sendero, both are in 300 WM. Both are real shooters. I used the Win 70 for Elk, Antelope and Mule deer in Colorado when I lived there. I'd have hard time choosing between the 2 rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.