Witch barrel for a encore pistol for deer hunting

enigma

I want to buy a barrel for my encore pistol for hunting whitetail deer from a blind here's the 3 caliber's I'm looking at 45/70 gov, 35 whelen or 338-06.I won't be shooting more than 125 yards with it.Anybody have anything to say witch might be better?

Last edited:
I mean I'm looking at a 15inch barrel for one of these calibers 45/70 Gov or 35 whelen or 338-06 to hunt whitetail from a ground blind and useing a shooting rest in the blind to.

I bought a .44 magnum and had it reamed to .444 Marlin. It is a hand full with full power loads even with the brake. I like the HAWK bullets. It shoots the Hornady factory loads very well also. Check out Bellm's web site for good info on the encore.

I mean I'm looking at a 15inch barrel for one of these calibers 45/70 Gov or 35 whelen or 338-06 to hunt whitetail from a ground blind and useing a shooting rest in the blind to.

Of the three you mention, I would pick the 338-06.

For the short distances you are considering, I would recommend something like the 7mm-08 with 120 or 140 NBT's. 260 Rem would also work great.

I want to buy a barrel for my encore pistol for hunting whitetail deer from a blind here's the 3 caliber's I'm looking at 45/70 gov, 35 whelen or 338-06.I won't be shooting more than 125 yards with it.Anybody have anything to say witch might be better?
I bought a encore last year in 3006. Haven't hunted with it yet,I have used a 3006 rifle for the last 30 years and never had any prolems with that caliber. I would say none of the above and go with either 3006 or 270.

Those are some pretty healthy chamberings. I'd go with a 7mm-08, .243 etc., but any of the chamberings you listed will be more than enough for whitetail at 125yds. Any of the WSM's would be awesome for your uses, in fact, the 338-300WSM would be really hard to beat for ANY game at 125yds.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.