Wipeout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nelson, Jan 8, 2006.

1. nelson

nelson Well-Known Member

Has anybody noticed wipeout being less effective in the cold. Cleaned my rifles at the range today noticed no real evidence of copper. Got home and ran some wipeout through them again let them sit for the same period of time and found it to be removing plenty of copper..

2. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Hey guy ! ,

I would'nt be surprised if it is affected by the cold .

As I am a professional grass cutting man I feel especially qualified to answer questions about chemical reactions of all sorts .

For example , when its really cold water just dissappears ! Lest you doubt before investigation I can assure you that if you put some water outside when its reallly cold then come back in a few hours the water is gone !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif aaannnnd some reallly hard stuff has taken it's place .

Now , I realize that one such happenstance is insufficient data to form an opinion in these matters so I offer one more as that should be overwhelming evidence that weird stuff happens when it's cold .

When it's reallly cold , now listen carefully cause this is a mind blower , when it's really cold your fingers forget how to work !!!! this is an indisputable fact that has been documented by more hours in the duck blind than there are ants on the earth . Then when it warms up they all of a sudden remember ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifor should i say hot !

To wrap up this scientific treatise I suggest that probably is what tis happening with the
    Wipeout , it gets cold and forgets , it warms up and remembers .

One more thing , you can blame all this zanyess on our very own Buffalobob, cause as I always told my Mom " he started it ! " ( go look at the question about eyes topic , you'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) Oh , yeah , JBr1000 and Abinok have a lot of exp with stuff .

Jim Brown

3. nighthunter264wm

nighthunter264wm Well-Known Member

Never had that happen before, but living in South Texas doesn't really offer me much of a chance at cold weather...

4. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

How cold is cold?
    Ive got some fireforming to do today with my 300WM... Its about 30degrees here. if thats anywhere near your temps, ill leave teh rifel in the garrage tonight with the wipeout in it and see if anything happens.
    Oh, are you using accelerator? I started using wipeout straight, then after I got the accelerator, I like it a whole lot more. My 300 coppers BADLY!!!! and will now come clean in one application with the accelerator, after I use some GM TEC for copper. CR 10 takes about 3 hours to get the copper out, with maybe 30-40 patches. The wipeout will do it in the same amount of time (with the accelerator) with 4 patches. Definately my favorite cleaner now! I may just have to photo the next cleaning cycle and post it along side my CR10, Coppermelt, Sweets, and proshot but I digress...
    If youre not using the accelerator, id be happy to squirt some in a bottle and send you some so you can try it...

Hey Jim, pics on the way, let me know what you think!

5. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

My basement is 65degrees, so i cant comment on that one...never used it in the cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Call Terry Paul and talk to him: http://www.sharpshootr.com

JB

6. Waffen

Waffen Well-Known Member

It could be that when it's cold (and I don't know the definition of cold in this case) the metal in the barrel contracts slightly, closing off any tiny crevaces where copper would hide.

I'm no chemist so I have no clue as to temp effecting Wipeout.

7. WoodsWalker

WoodsWalker Active Member

I'm not a chemist, but usually chemical reactions are slower as the temp. drops. This is probably what is happening in this case.

8. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

Wipeout is in the bore, in the garrage, will have areport in the morning.
    Anybody want some accelerator? ive got 8 empty pill bottles I an squirt some in if anybody wants to try it on me.

9. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

What is "accelerator"?

10. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    What is "accelerator"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheeeeese! It's pedal on right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What it does is speed up the Wipeout process. Kinda makes it work like coppermelt, I think? Cause I can't find any in my area so I let it 'rest' over night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    What is "accelerator"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Its some stuff you apply with a patch, that speeds up the process. The producer says it removes twice as much stuff, in half the time, and id say thats pretty close, maybe a bit conservative. I tried the wipeout after cleaning with coppermelt, and could still get copper with it, so I believe its more agressive than coppermelt. After using wipeout for a couple of months without the accelerator, its like a whole different solvent. With wipeout, id have to do 3 applications with my 300WM before id stop getting copper out, with the accelerator, a dry patch, 12 hours after a second application still comes out snow white. After the third time that happened, I figured out that only one application was nessicary. I used to think that that whole "continue untill patches come out clean" portion of bore cleaning instructions must have been somebody's sick joke... but not anymore!

Roy, if you want to try some, shoot me an address, and ill get some in the mail. There are a few places to buy a big bottle if/when you decide you like it.

12. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

Roy -- it is MUCH safer, and smells MUCH better than coppermelt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JB

13. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

email sent.

Gimme the address/s the wipeout by itself is good. The speeder upper must make it more convient to use...

Thanks

14. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Re: Wipeout - Abinok

[ QUOTE ]
    ive got 8 empty pill bottles I an squirt some in if anybody wants to try it on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what that is. Thought Midway had sent me a pee sample. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif No kiddin'

How do ya use it??

And Thanks,