WIND FLAGS ?

drpbroun5

As a new long ranger I'm trying to get set-up for my practice range. I do not have a local range to shoot on thus will be using a farmer friend's field. I plan to shoot out to 1200 yards. All my targets and other equipment will have to be mobile. Please let me know what kind of wind flags you guys use, the source of your flags, how many to put out, and any other recommendations you may have to help me learn to shoot the wind (books, videos, etc.). I don't have anyone here locally to help me in the learning process. I know that putting bullets down range is ultimately the only way to learn. I just want to start out correctly. I want to have all the equipment that I'll need. Thanks for your help. I praise the Lord for y'all and for this forum.
Paul

[ QUOTE ]
As a new long ranger I'm trying to get set-up for my practice range. I do not have a local range to shoot on thus will be using a farmer friend's field. I plan to shoot out to 1200 yards. All my targets and other equipment will have to be mobile. Please let me know what kind of wind flags you guys use, the source of your flags, how many to put out, and any other recommendations you may have to help me learn to shoot the wind (books, videos, etc.). I don't have anyone here locally to help me in the learning process. I know that putting bullets down range is ultimately the only way to learn. I just want to start out correctly. I want to have all the equipment that I'll need. Thanks for your help. I praise the Lord for y'all and for this forum.
Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to Benchrest.com and you will find flags there. I have several styles, but the ones I like the best are made by Charlie Hood and he advertises there. Along with the flags, you will want a set of Snuffys' flag tails. When I am shooting at my private 978 yard range, I use two flags..... One at 400 and one at 600. Don't forget your mirage shade.

James

Like Chawlston, I too love Hood's flags. I have 5 of them with 1/2 oz. tails on them. They really work well because they show wind vectors with the stripes on them. I highly recommend them.

I usually set up all five when shooting for groups at 100 yards or 200 yards and when shooting long range I will set up as many as I have time for. I will also set them up in strategic places if I can when shooting long range like next to a burm that I think might be doing weird things to the overall wind pattern. Or next to a tree to see if the tree is blocking wind in an irregular way and so forth.

If I only have time to set up one flag(setting up 5 flags and tripods over uneven terrain takes some time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) then I try and set it up near the shooter.

As for the type of stand, I like tripods staked down but there are places where a simple monopod works much better. Ideally, it would be best to have a few of both.

Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And by the way, I think getting wind flags to help you learn wind right from the get go is one of the smartest things one can do. I wish I would have bought my flags before I ever bought my first gun.

Here's a pic of the flags:
evening.jpg

A couple of thoughts on the farmers field range. You can use strips of plastic garbage bag or plastic crime scene tape tied to bushes and trees. They are not great for speed predictions but give you an idea of diirction.

Secondly, depending on the situation, wind becomes very local and will funnel down a tree lined field, or a stream valley and suddenly break right or left and go through a cut in the trees.

Finally, I would say that if you buy a wind meter you should try to guess what the wind speed is before using the wind meter each time and after a while you can guess the wind speed fairly accurately without the meter. Very handy skill to have.

I cut strips out of an old nylon tent. Then doubled over the edge and stuck 2 wires through it. Secure this to a 10 foot piece of 1/2 inch conduit. Very portable just jam it in the ground wherever you want. I leave mine out and it has lasted close to a year and is still going strong.

Goodgrouper,
Is there a difference in tail weights? What's the deal? Why use one or another? What will I need for long range shooting? Is survey tape visible at longer ranges (>800 yds)? Charlie Hood has regular size and large vein flags. Which will I need? Weighted or daisy wheel? Thanks for your input and all's!
Paul

Yes. Tail weights can be adjusted for conditions. In really windy places, you might want a heavier tail so it isn't getting whipped around really hard. In softer conditions, a light tail will show more subtle changes in wind velocity. I have some 1 0z. tails and some 1/2 oz.

I can see the regular size flags just fine at 1k. Big ones would probably just take up more space in the gear box.

The daisy wheel is popular but I prefer to take my velocity readings from the tail instead. So mine are the weighted kind. It is a lead ball at the front of the flag and must be balanced before you hook them up. This is done by loosening the set screw, placing it on the tripod, and then balancing the weight out front so the tip of the tripod rides on the ball bearing inside the flag in a manner that is "free floating" and not binding on the collar of the flag.

Daisys get going so fast sometimes that your eyes just see a blur and your brain doesn't pay attention to it anymore.

Surveyor tape works in a pinch and I have used it for years but it really does not show you anything more than vague direction and vague speed. The problem is that it is too whippy and too inconsistent. And it can wrap itself around whatever you have it tied to and then it is flat out useless!

To answer your question, yes, you can see bright orange surveyor tape at ranges in excess of 1 mile with even average optics.

Paul, it's not that complicated, Just a strip of nylon tent 6" x 32". Folded over itself for about an inch at the end the wires are poked thru. Some times it wraps around the pole, but I only remember unwraping it one time before shooting.

I built it in about 2 minutes but I guess I could have hi-jacked the wifes sewing machine and hemed all the edges.

I use it mostley for direction only. and detecting those slight breezes. Judging wind speed with my flag is not real practical. I leave that up to my doping ability by reading grass and trees.

Goodgrouper,
I bought some of Hood's flags. They said they only make the one weight tails. Where do I get tails of different weights? Thanks.
Paul

GG,

When I look at the pic you posted of your Hood flag set up, it looks at though you're using a Sinclair tripod. I talked to the lady at Hood yesterday and they are sending me a couple of sets next week. We discussed the tripod but she seemed unsure if it would work with their flags.

Are they simpatico?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.