WINCHESTER STEALTH IN 300 WSM

shilen30

Ian,

I have heard from more than one person that the push feed is an inherently more accurate action than the CRF. Is there any truth to this? From what you said in the past post I assume no, but is there any explanation as to why or why not?

At my local gunshop i have been drooling over a Winchester Stealth chambered in 300 WSM.The rifle is brand new in its box.On closer inspection two things became apparent.Firstly the rifle is fitted with a 24" barrel,i was under the impression that all stealths came fitted with a 26" tube.Secondly the bolt is the controlled round feed type,again i was under the impression that the stealth used the push feed bolt of the old Winchester heavy varmint.
Do we have a "bastard" rifle here or is its parentage as per Winchester specifications?

Brit,
Any chance that rifle could not be a Coyote as opposed to a Stealth? I have not heard of any Stealths being chambered in the .300 WSM although could never understand why they didn't do that. The Stealth has an HS composite stock, black and you are correct, except for the new WSSM's they have push-feed actions.
The Coyote has been chambered in all of the WSM cartridges for some time, has a controled round feed action and a laminated wood stock, lighter rifle for carrying.
There might have been an oddball batch of Stealths built in WSM, if there is I would consider obtaining it because they are superb shooting rifles. I have shot over a dozen Stealths now, in every caliber and they are very good rifles.
The rifle that you are describing is one that I hoped the factory would produce - except with the 26" barrel - both the pushfeed and crf are excellent actions but I seem to prefer the crf.
Any chance of sending a digital image for our enlightenment?

IAN M
The rifle is definately a stealth,i have looked at the coyote but much prefer its bigger brother.The gun shop owner brought the rifle in from Browning Winchester in Belgium.All i have read about the Stealth would indicate a 26" barrel and push feed bolt.To say i am perplexed is an understatement.
Will try contacting Winchester directly.Does any one have their E-MAIL address?
Oh by the way,it is definately 300WSM.
Very gratefull for your help.
BRIT.

TALLY HO.

IAN
Thank you for the input.I missed buying the Stealth.A friend of mine steamed in and bought it when i was not looking.Never mind,as i am a left hander it is probably for the best.Will keep you abreast of how the rifle performs,thanks again.

TALLY HO.

Brit,
You may have missed an interesting rifle there, but hopefully your friend will allow you to shoot it a bit.
I do not doubt your word or description, thanks for letting us know that the big gunmakers make stuff we never hear of. No doubt there is more of that since some large wholesalers sometimes order a special run of a particular caliber, model, barrel length etc.
Now since we know they can make one, perhaps we can watch for such a production model - would extend the range of the .308 nicely.
So happens I am going to be with some Winchester/Browning factory guys in a couple of weeks, maybe I can get some further info on the .300 WSM Stealth.

Shilen30
Thanks for that Winchester e-mail,will get in touch.
As for the push feed vs crf debate,i think accuracy wise the push feed seems to be the way to go.How many Bench Rest guys do you see using a crf bolt?
Feel at liberty to shoot me down on this.

IAN
If you could mention the rifle to the Browning Winchester guys i would be most gratefull.I will get hold of the serial number if it helps.I am determined to get to the bottom of this.
I will be shooting with my friend next week,so i will no doubt get to shoot the Stealth.
Will try to furnish the digital image but as i am a technological buffoon don't hold your breath.
I appreciate your help on this Ian,thank you.

TALLY HO.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.