Winchester model 70

Sykes

I've been wanting a Winchester to be a part of my collection for awhile now and have found a decent deal on an early 2000s model 70 classic stainless in 7mm wsm. I don't know much about Winchester rifles so my question is was this a good time frame to own a model 70? Does it work well in the 7mm wsm configuration? How's the trigger? Or should I focus on getting a current production model 70? If Winchester currently chambered the 7wsm I would just buy an extreme weather and be done with it but they don't. Quality of the rifle and accuracy are my main concerns. Dont need a caliber suggestion, if I don't go 7wsm I'll go 300wsm.

Appreciate your input

I would buy it . The trigger is adjustable and can be tuned to be very good . The accuracy of those years of production is generally pretty good , but with any factory rifle the accuracy can range from great to terrible. I don't care for the stock, but that's just personal preference, you may love it.

Long live Remmy700

Early 2000's is going back a ways. Lots of changes at Winchester that decade. By your description, I'm guessing it's the barrel is stamped New Haven, CT (they were until 2006). Production then moved to South Connecticut (barrel stamp: Morgan, Utah). I think the MOA trigger was introduced 2008, and then production moved to Portugal in 2013.

I do remember some of the early WSMs having feeding issues. On the up-side, it's pretty easy to modify the magazine to 3.1" OACL

My first choice is Morgan, Utah barrel stamp with MOA trigger,

Second choice, Portugal Extreme Weather (current production)

New Haven, CT - would have to be a really sweet deal for me to roll the dice, sight unseen.

Lots more availability of 300wsm factory ammo, if that matters.

morning, I built a 250 Savage on the SA action, octogen barrel. very
nice. 24" green mountain barrel. justme gbot tum

I own the classic stainless you are looking at. It is one of my favorite rifles. It was a 270 originally, and shot sub MOA with most factory ammo. Hand loads were 1/2". I would buy another one.
I cant say anything about their 7mmWSM feeding since none of my Model 70's are in that cartridge

I have had a couple crf 70's in wsm. Niether had feedinh issues, for a hutning rifle I would rather have the older trigger than the new moa. The old trigger was simple and while not the equal of a jewel or other aftermarket trigger for feel, is much better than anything rem ever produced. ( well maybe not an older 40x..)
My first one was 300wsm ultimate shadow from new haven, a 3/4moa rifle with several loads. For a pure hunting rifle it was a great gun.
The second is a stainless supergrade made in morgan utah with the moa trigger, also a 300wsm. Doesn't shoot that great, its a moa gun. But the stock is one heck of a nice slab of wood, it was a good deal and I haven't seen many factory rifle stocks any nicer.

I would second the above. I wook for a New Haven to get the older style trigger.

Also in general the stainless Classics started in the 5 digit range ( i.e. G12345) and progressed through 7 digits by the time they moved to South Carolina (i.e. G1234567). I would definitely look for a 5 or 6 digit range, as they had better QC. Not to say a 7 digit can't me good, but I'd look a lot closer at it.

I am glossing over a lot, but there is quite a bit to them.

Thanks for your input fellas. Not sure why I'm hung up on the 7wsm, probably because you can't just go buy one. The guy that owns it states it shoots factory ammo 1-1.5" at 100 yards. Not sure how much more handloads will improve the accuracy, surely make it go sub MOA. It's also already bedded so maybe they only improvemnet, besides handloads would be an aftermarket trigger and a stock but by then a guy might as well build something. Looking for more or less a "beater" gun to take out in foul weather or if horses are involved.

One of my friends has a 7wsm and love it.

If it has the factory Tupperware stock you could either relieve the barrel channel or throw it in a new stock and it should get you under MOA. My last one was well under MOA with a McMillan stock.

Thanks for your input fellas. Not sure why I'm hung up on the 7wsm, probably because you can't just go buy one. The guy that owns it states it shoots factory ammo 1-1.5" at 100 yards. Not sure how much more handloads will improve the accuracy, surely make it go sub MOA. It's also already bedded so maybe they only improvemnet, besides handloads would be an aftermarket trigger and a stock but by then a guy might as well build something. Looking for more or less a "beater" gun to take out in foul weather or if horses are involved.
I'm with you on this.
Had a 300wsm that was a great rifle. Decided to rechamber it to a 7mmWSM. Why? Less recoil and I think the 7mm is a better bullet over the 30.
And the 270wsm is something that I cant buy into, even though a bunch of people like it.
BUT.. the 7mmWSM is a cartridge that a bunch of people have had issues with. Challenge accepted. I have a rifle in that caliber in the works right now for a short barrel set up for a suppressor set up. We will see how it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.