winchester model 70 laredo lrh .300win mag

jasonstewart

i have recently become very interested in long range shooting and hunting. i purchased this rifle with a leopold 3.5x10x50ao vari x iii. i guess to start with. how far is the effective range of this rifle. i would like to be able to achieve 800 yards. is this possible? is there a best factory load available for this caliber and range desired? i have been hunting for many years, but have just ventured into the idea of 300+ yards. my longest shot that i have made on a deer was about 310 yard with a 7mm. i have shot the 300 at the range and am comfortable with this. but i want more. i have a stand that overlooks a 75 acre peanut field and would like to be able to shoot the entire thing. 846yards. and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i also have a savage 110 30-06 with a leupold varix iii 6.5x20x40ao. any suggestions for this rifle. thankyou very much. jason stewart

Jason,
The .300 is more than capable of taking deer/hogs/bear at 1000yds. You have to be up to it though. Practice at all the ranges you expect to see/take game. The Laredo is set up for long range and is the Winchester version/competition for the Remington Sendero. It (Laredo) has the 26" Varmint profile barrel and I think the stock is made for Winchester by HS Precision and has the aluminum bedding block. The trigger, if stock, is one of the industries most easily adjusted. Simple, crisp and very effective.
I've never owned a Laredo but I recently purchased a Win70 HVB in .243 Win. It's basically the short action version of the Laredo and it flat out shoots! This rifle shoots as tight as any Sendero or VS that I've ever owned. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Laredo should our paths cross.
I reload all my ammo/loads, but I think Winchester loads the 180gn AccuBond in their Supreme line (S300WMCT). If I had to stick with factory fodder, this would be my choice for anything crossing that peanut field, near and far! Ask questions and practice till you're comfortable. Good luck with your Laredo! JohnnyK.

** JASON- I had a 7mm laredo. it shot great. i have several remington senderos including two in 300 win. all the senderos have either a 6.5-20 or an 8-25; adjusted trigger and muzzle brakes. .* my first suggestion ; i would switch the scopes. i have several 30-06.* last year i shot a 6X6 bull here in az with a 30-06 . the 30-06's have 3X10X40 . if i did not handload i would shoot 165 balistic tips out of the 300 laredo. my son-in-law won* the 1000 yard match here with the 7mm laredo ; the first time he ever shot a centerfire.* with good loads the laredo will REALLY shoot. roninflag

Hello Jason, i have the laredo in the same cal. It is a heavy barrell with the BOSS system on it, and i can tell you that at 200 meters off the bench it will shoot 5 shot groups of 3/8 inch. and for a large cal rifle, that is some good shooting. My brother shot the rifle and liked it so well, he went out and bought one for himself, but since that time, winchester has quit making rifles with the boss system on them, it seems that browning and winchester are owned by the same company and browning held the patent on the boss and they pulled the boss from winchester, and it is very hard to find the laredo in 300 cal with the heavy barrell and the boss combo. but if you do, i would latch on to it, i have shot 6inch groups with it at 1000 yards, and i dont shoot that often so i think that says a lot for the gun. also, i was doing all of this in perfect weather conditions, but it was with factory ammo, i shoot winchester ballistic silver tips 180 grain and could not ask for anything better. PS my brothers rifle shoots just as well with the same ammo and under the same conditions. and i have taken deer and antelope with this rifle using a shepard scope at over 800 yards with no problem. hope you enjoy your rifle. DJ.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.