Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

"Plenty of times I didn't get them until the 3rd or 4th shot. I know, you hear someone in the woods empty his gun and you say to yourself, "there's another one that got away" but you never really know. Also, the 4th or 5th shots might be the only standing shot I get"

So what is the real situation here? Go back and read all of the various comments you're made in your posts on this thread before the last couple where we've mentioned them. Now you come back at us and say it was only once or twice when previously you have stated things that make it look like that's a common occurence the way you hunt. However, you put that in that quoted post above and you don't expect any criticism, LOL! Read it to yourself and don't tell me that sounds like a guy that knows what in the he** he's doing to humanely and safely take an animal! I guess maybe you're also one of those that thinks because you use that .338 that you can shoot them in the tail and they'll drop! Maybe drop a tree or two on them with those first several shots that hit timber and that bull/buck will stop for the tree to fall before he keeps going! Sorry, but you have made way too many statements in all your posts for us not to think like that!

For someone who doesn't want an argument, your exaggeration of tree felling and tail shooting seems a bit over the top.

I think I said twice in the afore mentioned scenario. They're all a little different. This probably isn't the time to tell you about the time I shot from the hip at a runner. I forgot about that one. That was definitely the right shot to take. "Plenty" is a subjective word. I probably should have had my attorney proof read it for me. Yes, given the limited details, I suppose in your minds eye, you can see me shooting at every shaking bush in the woods. If I was concerned about criticism, I would have weaved a more cautionary tale were I'm always the hero who never makes a mistake. Since my shot selection is fitted more for the circumstances at hand rather than pigeon holing a one-senario, one-shot mandate, I did in fact invite criticism. I accept your righteous indignation but do not regret those shots. Let the "putting me in my place" commence.

You're putting yourself in your own place with stupid comments like this one in your reply: "This probably isn't the time to tell you about the time I shot from the hip at a runner. I forgot about that one." Joking and guns do not go together Sir!!! The sooner you learn that, especially when you're talking to strangers on the net about guns, the better off you'll be!

Certainly not myself, but with every post you continue to put up like the last couple you are losing any credibility you had on here and it wasn't much too begin with!!!

I guess that's O.K. since I'm not trying to stockpile "internet credibility nuts". Sorry if a few of my experiences don't fit inside your box. They've worked well for me and have never compromised the safety to other hunters, regardless of what you may read into it.

So that's why I think you should expect more than 2 accurate shots from a hunting rifle...

I'd rather be an ethical and safe "internet nut" than one who keeps posting stupid comments like you do that certainly isn't helping you look you're one. Have you not wondered why nobody is posting in your defense with the baloney you keep coming up with?

Last edited:
I'd rather be an ethical and safe "internet nut" than one who keeps posting stupid comments like you do that certainly isn't helping you look you're one. Have you not wondered why nobody is posting in your defense with the baloney you keep coming up with?

Indeed I believe you to be a safe and ethical hunter. Also, I would not call you a nut as that would be bad manners. Once I have my mind made up, I don't spend to much time seeking the approval of others unless somehow they have a stake in it. No, I really don't expect anyone to come running to my defense. My opinion is my opinion with or without a crowd. Hope this doesn't mean we're not friends anymore!

I hope you don't decide to take your "wannabe a comedian" act on the road because you aren't very good at it! IMHO it is up to all hunters to question any act that appears to be unsafe or unethical with hopes of correcting said action in that party and any others who might think the way they are doing something is the right way when it may not be. Sorry you may not agree with that, but that's the way a lot of us look at it. There's really no need for any more smart comebacks, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

I started this thread to talk about the Model 70 EW. If you dont want to talk about that gun or shooting it then take your ****ing match elsewhere!!

If you want to have an one-on-one battle do it over PM so the rest of us dont have to be tainted by your BS!

Now who's being a wiseacre and prolonging this thread that you want back on track!!! "Sorry" was an apology in case you don't know what that word means and your friggin thread was started dang near 4 years ago and had been dead for 10 months!!!! PS: You also haven't even made a post since last August until tonight, so it looks like you're real interested in "your" thread, LOL!!!

Back on track:)...

I have one in 300WSM, love it. My observations of the rifle are that with the 1-10 twist tube in the 300WSM it doesn't seem to like light pills, anything over 180grains it seems to shoot well though.

As per others ob's, 3 shots generally hover just under MOA, 5 will blow em out to well over the MOA mark, but you gotta expect that with the fluted straw tube it's wearing as a barrel.

Its not a heavy barrel long range tack driver like others in the cabinet, but its the most "practical" everyday hunting rifle I own, and given the right conditions very capable out to around 700yrds.

I'm lobbing 190grain match bullets out of it at the moment. Will sort a 220 grain RN load for it later in the year for brush hunting Sambar, with any luck I can get it printing close enough to my 190 Match bullet so I dont have to rezero.

Back on track:)...

I have one in 300WSM, love it. My observations of the rifle are that with the 1-10 twist tube in the 300WSM it doesn't seem to like light pills, anything over 180grains it seems to shoot well though.

As per others ob's, 3 shots generally hover just under MOA, 5 will blow em out to well over the MOA mark, but you gotta expect that with the fluted straw tube it's wearing as a barrel.

Its not a heavy barrel long range tack driver like others in the cabinet, but its the most "practical" everyday hunting rifle I own, and given the right conditions very capable out to around 700yrds.

I'm lobbing 190grain match bullets out of it at the moment. Will sort a 220 grain RN load for it later in the year for brush hunting Sambar, with any luck I can get it printing close enough to my 190 Match bullet so I dont have to rezero.
I'm jealous as hell of you guys and your Sambar Hunting!

Your feelings about your rifle are somewhat similar to mine. I was just disappointed in how light the barrel is as I was expecting something similar to the M 70 Laredo taper.

It is as you say though a great "go to carry rifle" that is very accurate as long as you are not trying to shoot over 3 shots in a short period of time and as I said, if you are doing your part, there should be no need for more than 3 shots.

I'll probably keep the EW model as is and take one of my other M70 300wm's and give it a make over for a longer range heavier gun as a backup to my 300 Rum should I ever take that Pack in Elk Trip I'm considering in the future or if I decide to go shoot a Moose or big Bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.