Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless ?

geneinnc

Would anyone know where I can find the twist rate on my 7RemMag Winchester Classic Stainless Model 70? I have the Stainless/Synthetic Rifle that was brought back in the 1990's with the Model 70 action with a few modifications.

It's super Accurate with 150gr Ballistic Tips, but I need a heavier solid bullet for a Bear hunt. These black bear are much larger than normal. 250 to 550 lbs, and there was an 880 lb Black bear killed in the same county.
The guides do not want frangible rounds like the Ballistic Tips, after they lost several bear. The terrain is so thick that they recommend a solid bullet in the 180gr range, that will plow through both shoulders and anchor the animal.

I'm looking at the Barnes Triple Shock X 175gr bullet. If I remember correctly, that weight bullet calls for a 1 in 9" twist rate? I have been googling all evening to find a twist rate for my rifle, with no luck.

With the price of those bullets being equal to gold, I would like to do all I can to match a bullet to my rifle.

Thanks

Last edited:
Gene,
According to my Speer #11 Reloading Manual (pg. 472) the rate of twist for the 7mm RemMag in a Winchester Model 70 is 1 in 9 1/2".
I'm pretty sure the TSX is up to the task. I've killed deer with them and they penetrate unbelieveably. I would look at the Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Speer Grand Slam and Sierra GameKing and nothing below 160gn. If it was me though, I'd go with the TSX.
Where you from in N.C.? (I'm thinking NE NC) I lived in Duplin Co. all my life until August of this year. Re-located to central Washington. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.