Winchester mdl 70 Stealth

ForneyRider

What are your opinions of the mdl 70 Stealth?

It has a Bell & Carlson stock and comes in .223, .22-250, .25 WSSM and .308 Win.

The quality and accuracy of most Winchester models became suspect the last few years before Winchester filed for bankruptcy (sometime around 2006-7?). It was hit or miss. Since FN bought the name and began producing them once again, I hear the quality/accuracy is back.

well I bought the 270 WSM Super grade for my dad. It is everything we expected and more as far as looks, quality, accuracy, etc. The action is awesome out of the box. Dime size groups out of the box as well.

I see the 308 win is offered now. I was mostly interested in the 25 WSSM as a Texas hunting rifle for flat shots on deer, hogs and 'yotes.

I see the 25 WSSM for $750 new, but must be an older model. I like the new MOA trigger and prefer the FN.

I am comparing the Stealth with Sendero, VLS, Savage 12 Varmint, and Browning A Bolt Target.

Im a Model-70 FINATIC, so my opinion is bias. Ive shot the shadow, and it was accurate, even with factory ammo, but the stock was garbage. Never owned one.
I own a bunch of Model-70's, but theyre Feather wt's, Classic's, and Classic XTR's. All of mine can all achieve MOA or less with hand loads. My smallest groups come from my Feather wt 270wsm wich shoots .3 inch groups at 100 w/ handloads. And my largest and worst groups are with my Classic sporter XTR 300wby wich shoots 1 1/8 and less, down to .758 inches depending on the day.
My cousins Model-70 Coyote just shot 2 groups under 1/4 inch (.212, and .242) and one at .3 inches at 100 yds with my handloads today.
I dont have any personal experience with the Stealth, but given that my experience with Winchester has been ALL positive, I wouldnt hesitate to recomend a Model-70 in just about any configuration. I wouldnt recomend the stock on the Shaddow tho. Thats the only Model-70 Ive shot that I wouldnt want to leave factory.
But, Like I said Im bias. Winchesters and I have a long history. I love em'

A review on Sniper Central said it was a direct replacement to their Heavy Varmint Barrel. I have the HVB in .243 and it shoots under 1/2". I have shot 65-95gns through it with outstanding results.
Growing up there was always some sort of "romance" with the M70, the riflemans rifle. I had a fellow give me one once in .30-06. It had the blued action, sporter barrel with Tupperware stock and a Leupold 3-9X40 Vari-X III. The thing would not shoot under 1" no matter what reload I tried in it. I gave it back to the guy and told him no thanks. That thing kicked worse than a .300WinMag!
I swore off the M70 for being inaccurate and bad mouthed it every chance I got. Then I found the HVB while out in Washington. Now this rifle shoots. It is one of the most accurate and consistent rifles I have ever owned. I really can't say enough good about this particular version of the M70.
If the Stealth is anything like the HVB you will not be sorry you bought it. :) JohnnyK.

I have a model 70 stealth II in 25wssm and couldn't be more impressed with an out of the box gun. Only mod done was to lighten the trigger to 3lb. Iam currently shooting 100gr SMK behind 42gr of H414 into 1/2" all day long at 100yds. Was shooting 117gr Hrndy SST in my high power silhouette matches and was very impressed at the accuracy out to 500 meters, but have since switched to my 6.5x47 as the stealth was to heavy for legal competition. Have some 115gr bergers that I am going to load and see how they perform. As for the rifle, it was really my first rifle that I purchased on my own and I will probably never part with it either. Don't know if I got a lucky one off the factory line, but it can definitely hang with some custom rifles of mine.

Johnny K

I have all of the HBV's except the 222 and i have 2 each of the 243 & 308. The 222 is going to be a hard one to find. The 243& 308 are my favorite. The 308 is what got me into 1000 yd. shooting. As far as i am concerned , for out of the box they are unbeatable.

I have just purchased a new winchester 70 stealth and the finish is excellant. I mounted a vortex 4-12x40 pa-v plex scope on a egw 2 moa pictinny rail. You
need the wsm base for the stealth.
The only shooting I've done since leaving the service 55 years ago is a little
with a 223 AR and my Shiloh Sharps 40/65.
It was in the 50's yesteday with gusting winds up to 35 miles an hour. I only fired 10 shots and was using Hornady 168 grain BTHP.Set up targets at 25 yds
and 100 yds. Scope was 4 power and I fired 3 shots at 25 yds and had a one hole cloverleaf. Adjusted sight and shot again moving to the bottom of black.
Adjusted sight again and fired 6 shots at 100 yds. Vertically group was .468.
Horzontally it was 1.406. 4 shots were in one hole .281x.468. Counting the
shot to the right 5 shot group was .468x.875. I blame myself and the wind for the shots right and left. The trigger is crisp with no takeup. When broken in
should be half inch or better moa. Hoping to get out again this week.

I have a Win M70 Shadow in 7mm RM that I am putting back together. In the old form I had it (factory), it would shoot .75-1.5" with most factory ammo. Under the old company (Win vs FN) the Shadow was a low budget gun but has worked well for me. I am refinishing a new stock to free float the barrel and properly bedding the action. I have also adjusted the trigger to a nice point, and put a muzzle brake on it. I am also working some reloads already for it and hope to have it together by Jan-Feb as it will be my antelope gun this coming year.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.