Winchester M70 magazine length question

upacreek

I built a 7RM and it's purpose was to shoot 180 hybrids. My magazine is too short to be a repeater. It's 3.390" inside. I am looking for around 3.480-3.500. The wyatts box is 3.825" and I just don't want it that long. Looking in the book I realized the 300WM and 300H&H have both been chambered on this same long action. Is there a factory mag box and follower that is in between what I have and the Wyatts? Anyone ever had the same issue I have?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. You can use a magazine box and follower from a .375 H&H, .300 weatherby, or a 7mm STW. These were all made for a while and they are available although you might have to search a bit to find them. There are a couple of other things that have to be done also, you have to either replace the bolt stop and ejector with those from a .375/.300 WBY, 7mm STW, or modify the current ones. Modifying them isn't hard, just shorten them with a file. Doing the above will allow you to use up to 3.600" cartridge overall length.

I'm assuming your rifle is a New Haven model classic action.

Try midwest gun works for the parts, they may have them.

MGW

Yes. You can use a magazine box and follower from a .375 H&H, .300 weatherby, or a 7mm STW. These were all made for a while and they are available although you might have to search a bit to find them. There are a couple of other things that have to be done also, you have to either replace the bolt stop and ejector with those from a .375/.300 WBY, 7mm STW, or modify the current ones. Modifying them isn't hard, just shorten them with a file. Doing the above will allow you to use up to 3.600" cartridge overall length.

I'm assuming your rifle is a New Haven model classic action.

Try midwest gun works for the parts, they may have them.

MGW
This is all correct, but if you look at your current mag box, it has a spacer spot welded in the rear of it, this can be removed and the above mods made to the bolt stop to allow longer loading.
I have done this with mixed success, but the Win 70 should function OK like this.
I have also removed the spacer, fabricated a new shorter version that extended the mag box to 3.5" and rewelded it in.
There are many ways to accomplish this, just need a thought provoker to get you going.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.