Winchester M70 CRF safety problem

jcann

In Aug. of 2012 I received my custom built Winchester 7wsm from a respected rifle builder. Every time I've taken it out to shoot I have at least one failure to fire with the safety off. The rifle acts as though the safety is on and will not fire. When I try to rotate the safety to the "on" position it will not rotate and acts like it is bound up some how. The only way to fire or free up the safety is to re-cock the bolt. I've emailed the builder twice and called and left messages two times and have left PM's on their account and have gotten no response yet.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be and can anyone suggest a builder here in Oklahoma to fix it? I know Jon Beanland does great work and there is a builder in Weatherford Okla. (Teds Custom Shop) but I don't know much about him.

My action is a M70 CRF.

I'm not sure the problem is the same one but I had a sticky safety on a late Model 70 that was easily fixed by spraying a little Rem oil where the detent ball is located. The gun was new and it seemed like there was some rust or debris that got into the system.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.