Winchester M70 .264WM

340Shooter

Took my M70 out to the range today and tried some 140gr Berger seated to 3.350 OAL. Used Redding Type S dies with a .292 bushing.

264_Berger.jpg

The rifle has a custom Gaillard SS 26" barrel and a Boyds laminate stock.

M70_264a.jpg

Last edited:
I love Winchesters, and I love this cartrige. Its the only time its not called a 6.5
No offense, I see your Canadian, Its just that I never have been a fan of the metric system. Nice group. Looks loke its a shooter. .802 MAX spread. with a .3?? avg aint bad at all. What yardage?(meters) 100? Was the pic old? I didnt see a scope. Congrats on your rig and group.

I love Winchesters, and I love this cartrige. Its the only time its not called a 6.5
No offense, I see your Canadian, Its just that I never have been a fan of the metric system. Nice group. Looks loke its a shooter. .802 MAX spread. with a .3?? avg aint bad at all. What yardage?(meters) 100? Was the pic old? I didnt see a scope. Congrats on your rig and group.

Thanks. It was my first batch of handloads so lots more testing yet, but still looks good though. The range was 100m, correct. The picture is only a few weeks old, but was taken with a cell phone so looks grainy. At the moment, I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 mounted in Leupold dual dovetail bases. Seems ok, but might go to a scope with more magnification.

good combo.(Win and Leupold) but I aggree more magnification would bennifit you alot. especially with a .264win mag. Its only $ right :D. I just shot groups at 450yds today in the desert with my .270wsm, but I kept getting flyers shooting accross canyon with a 20-25mph, slightly quartering head wind. Some of the best and worst shootin Ive ever done. Im glad I have a 4.5 x 14power scope with an a/o. It realy helps from 300 and out.
Good shootin.........

Yes, I have a Leupold 4.5 x 14 that I will be putting on the rifle. I only have access to a 100m range at the moment, so I can't do much long distance testing. Might have to head out to the back country :)

Try you some Retumbo powder. I really get great accuracy and very high velocity in my 264 Win mag with it. I have a 27 3/4" barrel and get 3350 fps with 130 Nosler AB's and half MOA. These bullets really kill deer well also even as close as 98 yards without evaporating on the hair.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.