Winchester F'wt accuracy problem

rijaxon

I need help. I purchased a Win. F'wt 7mm-08 on Gunbroker.com. It's a beautiful rifle, controlled feed, original and in excellent shape. I had trigger job done down to about 2 lbs and free floated the barrel after disappointing accuracy. After all of this, the best I can do at 100 yds is about 3.5" to 4" groups with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5X8 in Leupold bases and rings. All is tight, bore has been cleaned and copper fouling removed. The muzzle is clean, no nicks. However, the bolt jumps a little when dry fired. A friend says that shouldn't affect accuracy but other than that, I can find nothing that would cause this lack of accuracy. By the way, I can never get adjust the scope to dead on. All shots are flyers at 100 yds. Somewhat like a half moon over the bullseye of the target. I'm very disappointed because I have been looking for a rifle just like this for some time. I found a 308 without controlled feed before I found this on and sold it to my son without shooting it. Recently, I sighted it in for him and obtained 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Is the bolt looseness on my 7mm-08 my problem and can anything be done about it or am I just screwed?

I have used Remington soft point Corelokt 140 grain, Winchester soft point 140 grain, and Hornady ballistic tip 140 grain. All ammo shoots badly.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts