Winchester Brass YUCK!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dig, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dig

dig Well-Known Member

So I have used Winchester Brass for the more common calibers, 30-06, 308, 270, 243 etc. . . for several years, always took a little prep work but all in decent brass. I just picked up a bag of 50 Winchester 25-06 today and 8 pieces had oblong flash holes, not just a little bit, 2 pieces with creases in the neck and 1 piece with a bad shoulder dent. 21% of the purchase was junk, totally unacceptable. I have not purchased Remington brass in a long time because I though it was junk or used to be. What now, when Laupua and Norma is not available? Hornady? Forget you Winchester!!!

2. toyonrocks

toyonrocks Active Member

I've never purchased a bag of Winchester brass yet but Ive found that I'm not a fan either. The Winchester .223 brass I've collected recently seems to split, crack, chip and just generally not perform well.

3. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

last few batches of winchester brass i bought were simular to yours.

4. jcann

jcann Active Member

I’ve run into the same situation with Win. brass recently (flash holes, dented shoulders, and deep strait line cuts on the necks). The last bag I bought I tossed 8 in the trash.

5. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

send them the faulty cases, and they'll send you 50 new ones...

6. dig

dig Well-Known Member

I sent them an email, even it they these percentages of good brass are beyond any quality control measures, who would by Winchester factory ammunition if they new this?

7. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

The real sad thing is that Winchester brass used to be the best domestic brass you could buy. I recently found a partial bag of 7 mag brass that had mixed up in a box that was in " storage" since about 1999. Well, that stuff was perfect. I bought several bags of brass last spring, and it was terrible. Off center flash holes, creases in the shoulder that do not fire form out. And most of all, very thin, and neck life is very poor. The brass of yesteryear is much better.

7 STW.lightbulb

8. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well-Known Member

I have experienced the same thing with recent Winchester purchases.

My recent Remington brass purchases have faired better.

9. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I bought 150 pieces of new Win. Brass about 2 yrs ago. There were very few that were unusable, and after the initial prep work it has been very good. I have some with 6 firings of a pretty hot load and primer pockets are just now starting to loosen up. Oh, I full length size and do not anneal.

10. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Uh, ya, that was "two years ago" Same thing I suffer from.

11. RangerBrad

RangerBrad Well-Known Member

I would also like to know what brand yal would recommend if not Winchester? Brad

12. dig

dig Well-Known Member

I can certainly recommend NORMA and LAPUA from first hand experiance and STARELINE in 45-70. Very little prep work just went through 200 new NORMA cases with zero issues.

13. jlamb

jlamb Well-Known Member

Just picked up some Winchester 25-06 to neck up to 6.5-06. Had to throw 2 away and do some major reworking. I won't buy again.