Winchester Brass YUCK!

dig

So I have used Winchester Brass for the more common calibers, 30-06, 308, 270, 243 etc. . . for several years, always took a little prep work but all in decent brass. I just picked up a bag of 50 Winchester 25-06 today and 8 pieces had oblong flash holes, not just a little bit, 2 pieces with creases in the neck and 1 piece with a bad shoulder dent. 21% of the purchase was junk, totally unacceptable. I have not purchased Remington brass in a long time because I though it was junk or used to be. What now, when Laupua and Norma is not available? Hornady? Forget you Winchester!!!

I've never purchased a bag of Winchester brass yet but Ive found that I'm not a fan either. The Winchester .223 brass I've collected recently seems to split, crack, chip and just generally not perform well.

I sent them an email, even it they these percentages of good brass are beyond any quality control measures, who would by Winchester factory ammunition if they new this?

I sent them an email, even it they these percentages of good brass are beyond any quality control measures, who would by Winchester factory ammunition if they new this?

The real sad thing is that Winchester brass used to be the best domestic brass you could buy. I recently found a partial bag of 7 mag brass that had mixed up in a box that was in " storage" since about 1999. Well, that stuff was perfect. I bought several bags of brass last spring, and it was terrible. Off center flash holes, creases in the shoulder that do not fire form out. And most of all, very thin, and neck life is very poor. The brass of yesteryear is much better.

7 STW.lightbulb

I have experienced the same thing with recent Winchester purchases.

My recent Remington brass purchases have faired better.

I bought 150 pieces of new Win. Brass about 2 yrs ago. There were very few that were unusable, and after the initial prep work it has been very good. I have some with 6 firings of a pretty hot load and primer pockets are just now starting to loosen up. Oh, I full length size and do not anneal.

I can certainly recommend NORMA and LAPUA from first hand experiance and STARELINE in 45-70. Very little prep work just went through 200 new NORMA cases with zero issues.

Just picked up some Winchester 25-06 to neck up to 6.5-06. Had to throw 2 away and do some major reworking. I won't buy again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts