Winchester ammunition?

sniperVLS

how is off the shelf Winchester ammo?

any opinions?

I have a Rem 700 VLS in .308 and right now, any and all Rem and Federal ammo Ive used all shoots pretty much identical. So Im happy right now with what I have. Very consistent and very accurate for off the shelf.

How is the Winchester ammo though? I dont like their .40 s&w ammo, it seems to blow back a lot of powder/residue into my Sig, where other brands do not. So Im skeptical on their rifle ammo. Am I wrong in doing so?

I was checking out the those silver ballistic tips?(is that the right name?) and just couldnt purchase them without having known more about it.

Ive been using Rem and federal and Hornady all my life, so I'm new to this Winchester ammo stuff.

thanks in advance for opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Aaron-

Aaron,
I shoot a lot of Winchester ammo, particularly the Supreme line and it is excellent. Different rifles prefer different ammo but I have almost always had very good accuracy and hunting performance with Winchester ammo. Particularly like their Accubond CT in the Supreme line. Try a box, the 168 Ballistic Silvertip is nice ammo for most .308 Winchesters. Their 150 Ballistic Silvertip has been very good for deer, shot several with my mighty .308's and they all died in their tracks (except for the running shots, they died in mid-step /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
Wincheter might be the best ammo for your rifle, or it might not perform as well as another favorite - there is only one way to find out. As far as uniformity and quality it is hard to beat.

Ian, thanks for replying. I'll definitely give them a try now. I read at other forums its good stuff, but your reply is more reassuring. The knowledge base at this place exceeds most places /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was just skeptical due to the .40 ammo I used for my Sig. It was accurate and shot very well, but it blew powder all over the place. It seemed like I shot 1,000 rounds that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks again.

Try their 168 Competition Supreme match ammo, it is very good stuff, while your at it try to find some Black Hills Match - 175 HPBT - that will be interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.