Winchester actions ?

ol mike

Did winchester build a super short action like browning did?

Better yet can a stealth II that comes 22-250 308 and the wssm's be rebarrelled into a wsm?

Also are the triggers adjustable on them ? Mike

Mike,
Yes, Winchester did build a Model 70 action sized for the WSSMs', it is about a half inch shorter than the short/WSM sized action. The 22-250/308 short action is not the same as the WSSM action. The WSSM action cannot accomodate a WSM cartridge. The 22-250/308 short action could be rebarreled to a WSM, I suppose, but there would be other issues to address, such as boltface, and magazine box and follower. I would be tempted to say, just sell the one you have and get one chambered to a WSM, if that's what you want. And, yes Model 70 triggers are easily adjustable.

Thanks Mudstud,

I kind of remembered the winchester being a super short but wasn't sure.
Wouldn't the boltface on the wssm and wsm be the same?
I saw a stealth II for sale and thought i could get away w/ only rebarrelling it -although it would be a single shot.
The super short might work w/ not so long of bullets and i'd probably have to drop the bolt out to extract a live round.
Anyway i thought for $400 plus a basic rebarrel i could be in a 7wsm for 11-1200 bucks.
Thanks for the help-Mike

Ol'Mike,

I have a stealth II that was a 223 wssm that I turned into a single shot 6mm-300wsm. I am loading a 85gr bullet and it works fine. Loading the bullet into the action is no problem at all. A fire round will eject with no problems also. But a loaded round that has been chambered but not fired will not eject on its on. All you have to do is when you pull the bolt back with the bullet push down on the base of the brass as if trying to put it in the magazine. when the case releases from the bolt you can then remove it. It's really not bad at all. I had a 29" barrel put on mine and its almost as short as a 26" long action gun. I love mine, its a great shooter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lovetohunt,

Do you think a 7mm wsm w/a 162gr a-max would load without problem?
I don't want to seat the bullet down in the case in order to shorten things up.Thanks -Mike

Ol'Mike,

Yes, It will load with no problem. And as long as you can push the base of the bullet down in the magazine to release the base from the bolt unloading an unfired case is no problem, just tilt the gun to the side and it will fall out. A fired case will eject on its on. It really makes a great package having a long barrel with out the longer over all length. I have also got a browning wssm i am thinking of rebarreling to a wsm. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would suggest finding something in a WSM action if you want to use that cartridge. My newly rebarreled 7WSM on a WSM action will feed from the mag and have .005" crush fit (175 SMK) if I want it that way.
I think I would use the WSM action if I were building a WSSM. This would keep the long bullets from taking up powder capacity because they could be seated out as far as possible while feeding from the mag.
There are a bunch of people here more qualified to answer these questions than I. Just my .02!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.