Winchester 780 powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RockyMtnMT, Feb 22, 2010.

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Looking for a ball powder to try that is around the H-1000 burn rate. I light of Kirby's advice that the ball powders are better for the over bore calibers, I am thinking I might like to try some. I would not mind being a little faster than the H-1000 but not much.

Any thoughts on the Win 780 or other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

US 869, WC 860, WC 868, WC 872 if ya can find it.
    RR

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks ridge runner for the reply. I'm not so sure I want to try a powder that I may or may not find in the future.

Any of you guys try out the Winchester Supreme 780?

Steve

4. Roughwater

Roughwater Well-Known Member

Hi,

I see this is an old post but thought it might be helpful to someone if I answer it.

I am using the 780 in a Ruger 270 Winchester bolt action with 22" Barrel using 165 gn Matrix Bullets. I have worked up loads in several powders including Magpro, Ramshot Magnum, RL-25, H-1000, IMR 4831 and probably a couple others I have forgotten. The Mappro worked well up to the high 2700 fps range and was consistantly accurate but I was able to get consistantly accurate loads above 2850 FPS with the Winchester 780 so that's what I'm going with. I use a GM215M primer though a 210 would probably work for the same velocity using another .1 gns of powder. It appears to be slower burning than the IMR 4831 but faster than the other powders I mentioned above.

I started out looking for a suitable Elk load for my hunting friend for use in his 270 win assuming the 165 grain bullet would probably not stabilize but willing to give it a try. It did stabilize even a sea level so just kept working up loads to see where I could take this. This bullet has close to a .7 BC and excellent SD so ought to do the job quite well out to 500 yrds or so.