Winchester 70 Upgrades?

Faster Daddy!

I have two Model 70'S, one in 270WSM and the other in 300WSM. They are both bone stock and brand new. Both barrels were broke-in using the methods described in the Barnes manuel. Any suggestions for what I might have done to these guns to improve accuracy a bit. Best I can get is about 1.5" at 100yds so far. Thanks

Winchester Mod 70 lover myself!!!

You can calibrate the trigger they have so they are around 1.5 - 2 pounds pull.
The barrel must be free floating, and a bedding job will help a lot.
Verify the scope is properly installed.
Concentrate on your shooting technique, and dont rush your shots. Wait between each shot 5 minutes or so letting the barrel cool down.
A bipod and sand bags help a lot.
Reloading for them, and looking for the bullets and velocities your rifles like is another great way to improve their accuracy.
Practice, practice and practice.

There are a lot of different things you can do to get them be better shooters, but the basic things are those. A custom barrel will be much better than a factory barrel, you can have a smith blueprint the action, put a faster spring, etc.....

Hope this helps, safe shooting, and have fun:)

Thanks for the reply. The triggers were factory set at 6lbs. I have reduced those to 2.5lbs for my next trip to the range. Both barrels are free floating (checked with two pieces of typing paper slid between barrel and stock, no problem). The factory bedding job is at the recoil lug (looks good) and a small amount at the rear screw (looks like it could be better) and no bedding inbetween. I'm comfortable the scopes are mounted correctly (leuopold VX 3's). I am also comfortable with my benchrest technique. I have another Model 70 .243 (the japenese model) that will shoot lights out from the bench. However, I bedded the full action on that one many years ago. I am very into reloading and maybe I just haven't found the right loads yet (still working on that). I just wondered if there was something that I should that may not help but also wouldn't hurt (but might help a lot).

Me too onthe Model 70. Shooting 3" at 300 yrds here. so would probably 12" or so at 1000. I have the factory 26" barrel now but hope maybe next year to put one of them fine Hart Barrels on it. Maybe a 28" varmint taper. Good luck on yours.

I also am a Model 70 lover. The last one i bought was Coyote Lite in 243. Manufacture date 2005. I ended up having to rebarrel it, becuse the bore was not was not concentric to the barrel. When i went to put a one piece base on it, i found out the reciever was drilled for a WSM and not standard short action which left the rear of the base extending over the reciever towards the bolt, so i had to shorten the base by .145" The manufacture date says a lot. I've got Brouton barrel on it ,and it loves the 105 A-Maxes. My groups are .375

Thanks Gary. I would like to check if the barrel is concentric with the barrel and that may tell some of the story. Is that a simple test at the Smiths?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.