Winchester 70 300 Ackley

nchunter182

Here is a picture of my project. It started out as a 300 H&H but recently had a 26" 1-10 twist PAC-NOR barrel put on it. Still working on fire forming brass and just starting to work up loads. Will try 200gr Nosler Accubonds, Fed215M primers, and RE-25 powder for my hunting loads. Been playing with some left over IMR4831 and 165gr boat tails and it has shown promise. Would like to get feedback from anyone having experience with this cartridge!
Thanks

Attachments

• Win 70 300 Ackley.jpg
    Win 70 300 Ackley.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 116
I'm not sure how close in case capacity it is to the .30-8mm Mag (it's probably really close) but I shoot 76grs of R-22 with 210gr Matrix VLD's @ 3100fps in a 27.5" barrel. Typically it shoots in the .2's and .3's @ 100yds and often better at long range.

The 375 H&H Norma brass I finished forming yesterday has a capacity of 105grs H2O. The RWS 375 H&H brass is MUCH heavier and ended up with only 85grs H20. The W-W and Hornady 300 H&H brass ended up 99-98grs but were slightly shorter in the neck due to shrinkage during the fire forming process.
I've been told that you can use the 300Wby loading info to get you close for the 300 Ackley. Your 76grs of of RE22 looks just right!

nchunter182,

I had a 300 Ackley custom a few years back and ran RL-22 with the 180 back then. I used 8mag brass to form the case.

I now have a 308 Hammonds Hammonds' Rifles - Custom Benchrest & Hunting Rifles Our Specialty which is the Rem 8mag case necked to 30 cal. In this I run RL-22 with the 190's at 3300 or 200's SMK's at 3150. I'm on my second barrel.

The 300 Weatherby is shorter than the 8mag case.

Two suggestions given the case capacity you have.

1. Shoot heavier/better BC bullets like the 208grain Amax, 210grain VLD or 230grain Berger OTM.

2. Use a powder that is more temp stable. The RL series is very temp sensitive. Consider H1000 or Retumbo. They will produce outstanding velocities and are much more temp stable.

trebark,
Thanks for the input, you got me thinking about my choice of powder. I found a list of powder temperature sensitivity and RL25 was on the list known to be temp sensitive. H1000 & Retumbo were listed as temp stabilized. Too bad I already bought a lb of RL25! Live and learn.
I worry about using match bullets for hunting. I've had bullet failures when the animal was shot at close range with "standard" hunting bullets. Would consider the Berger 210 VLD though.

If your investment in RL25 is just one pound, that's not bad. At least you didn't buy five or eight pounds! where did you find a temp sensitivity resource? My opinion about the RL series of powders is based on my own experience and those of my friends.

As for using match bullets on game, I generally agree with you but there are several notable exceptions. The Amax is a great hunting bullet for deer and smaller game. As for the Berger OTM, a well respected member of this forum 'Broz' used the 230grain OTM this past season to great success on deer size game.

Here's the story I wrote up about my deer hunting this past year with my 300RUM loaded with 208grain Amax going 3150fps.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/annual-hunting-retreat-amax-review-82434/

Here's Broz's thread with experience of the 230 Berger OTM

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

For now I will continue to load the Amax in my RUM. If I get the opportunity to shoot 1500yards or farther, I will switch to the 230 OTM without hesitation.

I actually found a post on this site. The link is below. I hope I did it correctly and it works! I was not able to find a published chart - it is based on experience like yours.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/powder-temperature-sensitivity-31096/

Only thing I buy by the 8# can is Varget. I load it for for son's 7mm-08 and our AR-15's. My Stag Model 6 likes the Varget with the 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets on top. Works quite well on prairie dogs!

Looks like you had great results with the Amax. Good shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.