winchester 300 wsm

lorvan

My gunsmith has an almost new winchester with inox steel heavvy barrel in 300 wsm.
I am in doubt.
I would buy and mount an nightforce scope. But I am not sure.
Someone knows as the 300 wsm works for long range hunting? Is it accurate at long range?
Or is better an old 300 Wm in a remington rifle?

Thanks

Lorenzo

The 300 wsm makes a good long range cartridge. You may not be able to load the heavy 200+ gr. bullets without loosing powder capacity but it does just as well as the 300 WM. If the gun shoots good then you'd have yourself a real nice LR gun, otherwise you have a desireable platform to work off of for other short mags.

The WSM is an absolutely superb LR cartridge for uyp 10 1k work. It will run the 200-210 bullets the same as a Win mag and at least 2x the barrel life.

Powders to try are Norma MRP, H4350 and the new RL17.

I am running 169 Barnes TTSX at 3350 with single digit ES and SD.

BH

It will run them close to the regular 300WM if and only if you have the gun throated for the 200-210gr bullets. Otherwise you're going to cut into your case capacity and not get as high of velocities. Even if you have a gun throated for the lighte bullets, it will be great to at least 1000 yds with a 180gr bullet.

The 300 WSM is a great cartridge, especially if built into a custom rig that eliminates some of its potential shortcomings (see above).

I don't know about the double the barrel life of a 300WM thing, this is the first I've heard of that. I may just be out of the loop though, I don't own a 300 WSM yet.

If I were to build a lightweight carry gun for elk right now, it would be 300 WSM. I shoot a 300WM but only because I'm still in shape to carry a Sendero over anything.

The rifle is a heavvy barel winchester, i think a 70 model with lamellar ( is it the right word? bah.. ) stock with inox barrel, not fluted. I think that the twist rate my be 1:10
I do not love the winchester barrels, but I hope that they are not so bad. I would fit it with my nightforce scope, paint all in olive green or so on and build an accetable LR rifle.
I hope that it can shot with good accuracy a 180 grain bullet..

Lorenzo

Factory throat in a Win will take the 210 bergers w/o cutting into the case capacity too much. In a 24" Win coyote, mine with H4350 was running 2800 with a 210 and 2875 with the 190. This was not top end, but best accuracy in that gun. However, the 210 is really the max in that case.

My first WSM, (6 years ago) ran 2300 rounds in comp. Danny Brooks took the IBS 1K BR overall and LG Score and Group this year with a WSM with 4000 rds down the tube. His Win Mags have to be rebarrelled at 1200-1400 max.

BH

Lorvan, I am certanly no expert on the subject but have some experience with the 300 wsm cartridge. I have a rifle I put together in this cartridge and have found it very accurate for long range shooting. The rifle that I put together is on a Savage action. I used a Pac-nor barrel which is 28" in a 10 twist. I load Norma brass using 210 Berger VLD'S,Federal GM215 primers,64 gr. H4831 sc powder. When chambered the bullet is in the lands 0.015". Chronographed velocity is at 2800 fps and an es of 14. The total rifle wheight is 15.5 bls. As far as accuracy goes if I am doing my part and wind conditions permit it will consistantly hit a 1 mile target with moa accuracy. So the cartridge is fine for long range work. Best wishes in your long range endevor.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.