Winchester 300 RUM

BigPig069

I am at a crossroads, my wife heard me talking to a friend about wnting a 300RUM, so she took it upon herself to go get me one, not exactly the model I was looking at (Win mdl70 Black Shadow). Now I am rtying to figure out to build off of this action or sell it and get me a Remington Sendero, If any one out there can help please chime in as to which barrell and stock to start the rebuild with. Thanks in Advance.:)

Man the skys the limit for you with that action. You can have any barrel and stock you want. There are a lot of smiths to chose from as well.

Most guys will tell you to shoot out the old barrel before you rework the action.

Can you post any pictures of the rifle?

I will try to post some pics later as I am not really that computer savy, It is a Winchester model 70 Black Shadow. I haven't even put bases or a scope on it yet, I'm still weighing out my options. any suggestions would help.

Just before Winchester closed the doors, I acquired two stainless CRF Model 70 rifles with the black injection molded (tupperware?) stocks.

I thought they would make good actions for building on. Have not been able to find a smith locally that wants the job, so I decided to shoot one of the rifles, just for grins. I bedded the tupperware stock with Steelbed (I know---probably a waste of time and bedding compound), put a scope on it and the first 100 yd. groups were well under an inch. Not gonna say how much under, cause you wouldn't believe it!!

Anyway, this is not the only Model 70 I have that shoots so well.

So------give it a fair trial, you might be surprised.

Cheers,
Jim

Forgot to mention----adjusted the trigger down to "light and crisp" and floated the barrel (had to open up the barrel channel with some coarse paper wrapped around a dowel).

Last edited:
Man if your wife bought it then hang onto it!!!!! It would not be worth upsetting her.

Thanks for the info Jim Oliver, I have a buddy that lives close to me that turned me onto this site and he has it now, (bedding it & trigger job) like others have told me shoot this one out and then start to build. I am going to take yall advice. Thanks Again,

Top Shot, I wasn't wanting to get rid of the rifle, just wanting to know if it is worth building on. But you are right on what you said dont make the little lady angry by getting rid of the rifle, that would probably be the last rifle she would buy me

I built my best rifle to date was on a model 70. Factory it was a 1/2 moa 300 win.. Do not fear a build on that rifle it will treat you right. On another note you could still get a sendero down the road and have both.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts