Winchester .223 RazorBack XT .64 gr.

CoyoteMarine

I have been looking for an all round hunting round for my DPMS Sweet 16. The research has led me to the Winchester RazorBack XT, 64 gr. 3020 fps. and 750 vol @ 200yds. with a 1-9 twist or faster. Has anyone used this round to hunt yet?, and if so what type of damage did it do to the meat. The round is for Hogs, Whitetail Deer, Antelope, Black Bears.

I have been looking for an all round hunting round for my DPMS Sweet 16. The research has led me to the Winchester RazorBack XT, 64 gr. 3020 fps. and 750 vol @ 200yds. with a 1-9 twist or faster. Has anyone used this round to hunt yet?, and if so what type of damage did it do to the meat. The round is for Hogs, Whitetail Deer, Antelope, Black Bears.

I tried the 223 and couldn't find a bullet that would drop a hog in less than 100 to 200 yards.
I tried everything except the 90 grain and there was just not enough energy.

In my opinion the 223 is to light for pigs and bears and marginal for deer and antelope unless
a head shot is taken.

An AR upper with a 6.5 or 6.8 spc would be a good Minimum for all the game you mentioned.

I love the .223 for small game and varmints and I built my self a .223 AI and stepped it up a
notch. but it still doesent drop them without a head shot.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Federal loads nosler partitions im 223. My brother uses them for hogs and deer all the time. Ive seen him roll hogs on a dead run. Be aware shot placement is important. The razorbacks look promising will have a good report end of Jan after a hog hunt. Gonna Bring the tried and true partitions in case they don't pan out.

Federal loads nosler partitions im 223. My brother uses them for hogs and deer all the time. Ive seen him roll hogs on a dead run. Be aware shot placement is important. The razorbacks look promising will have a good report end of Jan after a hog hunt. Gonna Bring the tried and true partitions in case they don't pan out.
+1 on the partitions. I dropped a heavy doe last night at 120yds with the 60gr out of an RRA Coyote Carbine with a 16in tube. I had to take a heart/lung shot. I was a bit nervous about the shot (I always take head shots with the 223) But I was losing light and she wasn't willing to look up from the alfalfa. I was very impressed with the results. She didn't take a step, just tipped over and kicked a little for about 30 seconds. I don't think I hit any bone, which may have changed the outcome. I'll know more after I butcher her thisafternoon. I know the bullet didn't past all the way through. But it sure did the trick. Seems like a great choice for hogs if you're really set on the 223.

+1 on the partitions. I dropped a heavy doe last night at 120yds with the 60gr out of an RRA Coyote Carbine with a 16in tube. I had to take a heart/lung shot. I was a bit nervous about the shot (I always take head shots with the 223) But I was losing light and she wasn't willing to look up from the alfalfa. I was very impressed with the results. She didn't take a step, just tipped over and kicked a little for about 30 seconds. I don't think I hit any bone, which may have changed the outcome. I'll know more after I butcher her thisafternoon. I know the bullet didn't past all the way through. But it sure did the trick. Seems like a great choice for hogs if you're really set on the 223.
Update- The bullet did pass all the way through. Between the ribs on the close side and just knicking a rib on the far side. The hole I was looking at last night must have been the exit hole (getting dark and pouring rain made it tough to tell). Wish I had the bullet to give a better report. That being said, personally I wouldn't chase em through the brush with a 223, but if you're set up to where a 223 is viable, the Nosler Partition is a heck-of-a-bullet.

Not sure if your a hand loader, while the 60gr Nosler Par is a great bullet, and I've used get to kill a few Idaho white tails with my .223 and .22 GTO. You might look at the Barnes 62gr TSX BT in .22 cal for the .223 Rem. It looks like Tac (24.5grs) with #41 CCI primer and WW case should give you 3055 fps.
Just a thought on this end.
Good luck

Thanks for the info guys, I'm waiting till after all the deer hunters from the city do thier thing first. Hard to find places to hunt around here with out paying an arm and a leg to a guide. I'll let you know how things turn out with the Winchester RazorB ack.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.