Win Mod 70 Pre 64 Supergrade...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by JOSE A. MARINE, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JOSE A. MARINE

JOSE A. MARINE Well-Known Member

I own one of these rifles in 257 roberts that won`t shoot anymore, so i´m planing on rebarreling in 308 win, what tips can you give me on the work planned?

I`m planning a big bull barrel on this rifle...

any tricks on the job?

or should I spend my money on a rem 700?

this forum is maybe 99% rem 700, but I dont undestand why you guys dont like win model 70 actions...?

please help.

Joe

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

The Winchester action is as good or better for building off of for a hunting rifle ,the remingtons are so much more popular becuase they are so easy and fairly cheep to work on with a huge assortment of aftermarket goodies for them

The winchester actrion is alot stiffer than the rem so a heavier barrel can be hung off of it with less worry.

Their are no trickes to building a Winchester , blueprint it just like the Rem 700 , barrel it just like the rem 700 and it will shoot just as good as any Rem 700

BUT , that is a pretty high priced sought after rifle you have their , if its in good shape I'd leave it alone maybe rebarrel it back to like factroy. But to each his own.

3. JOSE A. MARINE

JOSE A. MARINE Well-Known Member

thanks

thanks for your reply, this rifle was handed to me by my grandfather at a young age, I really like it.

I´m a gunsmith down here in old mexico, and have done plenty of rebarrelling jobs, and of course blueprinting actions.

this is the first super grade job for me, and I would like to put in it all the wisdom at hand.

what stock is best at the quality/price ratio?

Joe