Win. M70 threaded for Savage barrels?

DougH9

I am wondering if a M70 pushfeed reciever could be re-threaded to accept pre-fit barrels and locknut for a large-shank Savage 110 (1.120" x 20 TPI).
Thank you, Doug

off the top of my head i think the Win actions are 16TPI and 1" i just cant remember exactly. You could get a barrel nut made to the Win Dimentions and then get a pre fit barrel cut with the correct thread and have the same system as the savage on your barrel. I would not modufy the action i would just copy the design of the savage barrel lockup and change the thread dimentions for the barrel and nut to suit.

Cheers Bill
Australia

You should check with pac-nor. I know they have barrel nuts to convert remingtons over to Savage style. The barrels still use the same Remington threads but are threaded for the barrel nut like the savage barrels.

You don't need to have a barrel nut to make a gunna switch barrel , once you have the barrel fitted to your gun is can be removed and replaced with a vise and action wrench. The barrel doesn't have to monster torqued and glued like they come from the factory ,if the threads are cut right.

I'm drawing a total blank with the thread size for the Winchester actions , I think that they might have tried a couple differant ones but could be wrong.
If you insistant on using a barrel nut I would definatly have the action threads recut so they are true and tight and it will also give you a bigger barrel diameter.

the Remington thread is 1.062" x 16 while the Savage is 1.062" x 20. The winchester action is big enough to handel a 1.125" thread and if this were done wit would totaly clean out the old threads so perfect new ones could be cut.

JD,

The idea is not to have a switch barrel rifle, but to have a practice rifle that I can shoot a lot and not have to send away for re-barrels (just order one up and install it in my gun-room). I have a Savage in 308 that I am doing this with now, but I want a 300 mag also. I like the 110 action, but think it would be nice to use a Win. because it would match my other 300, and the fixed recoil lug is nice.

I measured a M70 barrel thread, and it is 1". So it looks like this could be done! (decisions...decisions)

Thanks again, Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.