win M70 build it or not?

Chappy22

Are there any issues with truing the M70 action or can it be trued like the rem 700 actions. I was looking at building an ultralight mountain rifle. The only thing stock will be the action but i just want to know if the winchester will be as good as the rem 700 after it visits the smith????

The model 70's are a great action especially the pre 64 controlled feed actions. Equal to or better then the Rem's in my opinion. Most guys won't build on a pre 64 because of its value but I look at it differently. I can't take it with me when I die and not about to let it sit around because the barrels shot out. Just finished another last winter and looking for another to build a 300 WM on. They are out there and reasonable just have to look. I don't care for the push feed's

NO you can't true a Mod 70 as easy as a Rem 700 as the Mod 70 has a flat bottom action and the Rem 700 is a cylinder . Holding the Mod 70 is much harder and requires special jigs that most don't have.
It can be trued by someone who has the right jigs .

A model 70, that has been "trued", will surpass a 700 that has not been. It (a model 70, push feed or CRF) , that wasn't a total wreck from the factory, can become a fine custom hunting rifle. I had an early PF (push feed) that was set-up from the factory as a .222 Rem. Mag. (they hadn't started making SAs, yet). I couldn't get $200 for it, LA but SA cartridge. I ended up transfering it to myself and squared it up (it was no further out than some 700s I've seen) and barreled it in 6mm X 45mm (6mm/.223). She's a 250yd. shootin' little coyt' gitter, now. I am planning on using another I have for a 7mm STW. I'd say "have at it!" . JM thoughts on M70s.

Any smith should be able to do just as good with an M70 action as with a 700. I made my own jig like the one from gre-tan and it works equally well for either one.

Individuals will always have some bias towards one or the other. But, in terms of accuracy for a long range hunting rifle.... either one will work plenty good.

Push feed, controlled round feed, triggers, safeties, etc... are also factors that may weigh into one's decision. Nonetheless, either one is a good platform for a build.

Both are also being used successfully for competition. But depending on the discipline, serious competitors often just go to the custom action builders anyways.

-- richard

I built a half MOA .300 win. on a factory (untrued) model 70 action. The FNH SPR rifle is based on the pre 64 style model 70 action as well, so I would have to recommend it without hesitation.

NO you can't true a Mod 70 as easy as a Rem 700 as the Mod 70 has a flat bottom action and the Rem 700 is a cylinder . Holding the Mod 70 is much harder and requires special jigs that most don't have.
It can be trued by someone who has the right jigs .

In my limitted experience, truing the Model 70 action isn't hard. But, a lot of smiths aren't setup to make the extractor cut in the barrel shank for the CRF models. Push feed is no big deal.

-- richard

I have a pre 1964 Winchester & a post 1964 Winchester XTR & to tell you I like both the same.... You might also find this intresting Jim Carmichel in his book the Modern Rifle about the Model 70 he has had about 65 to 70 Model 70s & he said the Post 1964 are more inherently accurate.... So for Target he liked post 1964 & in a Hunting Rifle a Pre-1964. Just something to think about.

unless you just really want a Winchester action
buy a Savage & you wont need to visit a smith, they have a 3position saftey- factory pillars, & a bolt head that aligns, or "true's itself" with the chamber-
more accurate by design,
if you shoot a barrel burner catridge - no problem, change the barrel
if you want to change caliber - no problem , change the barrel
no need to buy aftermarket trigger,
no need to true action to barrel
spend the $ elsewhere - optics -ammo- whatever
I have several real SPENDY rifles I bought before I bought a Savage
never again,..........

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts