Will this scope work on my .338 Lapua

JaredA

I ordered a savage 111 .338 Lapua Mag. I currently do not have the scope i want but will buying one soon.
I do have an extra Leupold III Vari X 6.5-20.
My question is, will that scope work on that gun? Meaning will it handle the recoil ect.? I know its not the best, but i will need something, and when i get the gun i was thinking about that for a temporary solution. Thoughts?

Well I will wade in the water on this one. One thing's for sure with Lupy's warranty you're covered if it doesn't. Personally I would bet it would have mo problems.

The Savage has a brake on it right? I was just looking at a friends 338 L the other day and his did. With that brake it probably has about the same recoil as an '06, and any Leupold will handle that.

Without the brake, i bet the scope holds up better than the shooter.

Jared,
I have a Nikon Buckmaster riding a hard recoiling .300WinMag and it's doing fine. I think Leupold will more than stand up to a the .338 LM, especially if it's braked. JMO. JohnnyK.

I don't see why not, it has a break that tames it a lot. I have had Vx2"s and 3's on some heavier recoiling rifles with no issues. Still have a 4x VX2 on my 375 H&H for he last 25 years. I would be more skeptical about the turret reproducibility if you plan on using turrets. Also, make sure you Loctite your scope base, mine loosened up on my Savage 338 after 50 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.