Will this load cause carbon build up.....

kraky2

I found a really accurate low speed load for my 300 win mag for our wisconsin whitetail season. Most shots are under 75 yds and I don't like blowing up deer.

The load is 80 grains AA8700 under a 180 hornady and it clocks 2500 fps and is super accurate. With my burris ballistic plex the crosshairs match up nicely for 100,200,and 300 yds shooting. It was so accurate I broke 2 out of 3 clay birds at 300 yds (nice to know just in case I post on a field).

Anyhow when cleaning I noticed I got way more black out of the barrel on my patches than normal and way less signs of copper fouling.....almost as if the bullet is riding on powder residue instead of the barrel. Surprisingly the case mouths weren't terribly sooty and they must have expanded fine to seal off the chamber.

So.......I know you guys play with some slow powder here...do you think I'm just headed for an eventual build up of bad things in the barrel or should I take my fun load and run????

Shoot a PM to to 41mag he can verify this for sure but I believe he said that alot of that fouling decreased as you get into the upper ends of the load. Maybe go up a grain or two check for pressue signs and see if she still shoots as well. Or enjoy it and clean a little more often.

If you switch to a faster powder, you will not have the smoky residue from the powder not burning at the design pressure and temperature.

62 grains of W-760 will give you 2800 fps and 52,000 psi, and will burn clean.

If you looks around, I'm sure you can find other combinations that will serve you better than AA8700.

180 760 .308" 3.285" 58.0 2722 48,200 CUP 62.0 2845 52,300 CUP

As others have noted, powders tend to burn cleaner in their upper load window. However any powder can build up carbon deposits if the barrel is not cleaned properly. You need to get this fouling out with a combination of a good solvent and something that will help lift the carbon ie a bronze brush, JB paste or Iosso.

If the load is working for you don't change a thing.
Clean your barrel with Sweets 762 on a nylon brush several
passes threw the barrel let stand couple of hours repeat then
clean until you have a clean patch then put windex glass cleaner
on a clean patch run it threw the barrel again dry patch it
then on a hundred rounds or so use JB bore cleaner on a
patch run clean patches until they come clean from then on
you should not have a problem after that. Less a clean barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.